Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Starting Xorg on boot

Offline ylluminate

• +0/-0
Starting Xorg on boot
« on: September 09, 2016, 04:59:04 AM »
I have a scenario where I need to boot SME Server 9 into Xorg with Firefox executed upon boot to load a particular status page.  The system is in a secure environment, so the user / security is not important in this case.  What's the correct process for setting Xorg to start at normal runtime and then fire off an app like Firefox?

guest22

Re: Starting Xorg on boot
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 05:50:30 AM »
Why Firefox? Would a text based browser do the job showing a status page?

Offline ylluminate

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 05:52:46 AM »
Sadly this is a graphical page for a device on the network for power management and needs a graphical display.

guest22

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 06:08:44 AM »
SME Server is headless by design, so you would have to find your way to get Xorg installed etc. Not trivial.

Why does SME Server have to show this status page? Any other device could browse to the IP and show it's status. A Raspberry PI connected to a monitor could do that too.

Offline ylluminate

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 06:21:16 AM »
Installing Xorg isn't a problem.  I'm rather experienced at *nix in general and can install the packages and configure X.  Just looking for a quick "SME Server" way to do it vs just installing the packages and pushing it into the init runtime level, etc.

guest22

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 06:25:37 AM »
Well, https://wiki.contribs.org/SME_Server:Documentation:Developers_Manual could have the info you require...

Keep in mind that SME Server used runlevel 7 for starting services..

Offline ReetP

• +5/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 10:46:55 AM »
Can't you use something like SNMP ?

Sounds like you are using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Probably be simpler and easier to get a device that is properly network aware and properly managed.

B. Rgds
John
1. Read the Manual
2. Read the Wiki
3. Don't ask for support on Unsupported versions of software
4. I have a job, wife, and kids and do this in my spare time. If you want something fixed, please help.

Bugs are easier than you think: http://wiki.contribs.org/Bugzilla_Help

If you love SME and don't want to lose it, join in: http://wiki.contribs.org/Koozali_Foundation

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 11:09:47 AM »
I have a scenario where I need to boot SME Server 9 into Xorg with Firefox executed upon boot to load a particular status page.  The system is in a secure environment, so the user / security is not important in this case.  What's the correct process for setting Xorg to start at normal runtime and then fire off an app like Firefox?

I would start telling us the whole story/picture.. IOW, tell us the problem, not your solution..
hacking SME to run firefox is not a smart idea