Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

AFP, BACKUP on TAPE, MULTIPLE SERVER

Offline groulte

• +0/-0
AFP, BACKUP on TAPE, MULTIPLE SERVER
« on: September 14, 2016, 07:56:22 PM »
Hello everybody,

i've used in the past SMESERVER V4 & V5 and it was great.

1st question : i want to replace some APPLE server with SME 9.x but i want to know if AFP is always active on SME 9.x ?

2nd question : can i use TAPE to backup ? Is there a policy to create many FULL job & daily job for the INC data ?

3rd question : can i attached other smeserver(slave) to a principal(master) smeserver ? The goal is to have one LDAP and many files servers.

Thanks for all.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 08:15:16 PM by groulte »

Offline groulte

• +0/-0
Re: AFP & BACKUP on TAPE
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 08:09:52 PM »

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
Re: AFP, BACKUP on TAPE, MULTIPLE SERVER
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 09:24:52 PM »
Hello everybody,

welcome here

i've used in the past SMESERVER V4 & V5 and it was great.

well, it's still great ;-)

1st question : i want to replace some APPLE server with SME 9.x but i want to know if AFP is always active on SME 9.x ?

you don't need it.. mac OSX uses samba/smb protocol since epoch.. anyway, why do you need AFP?

2nd question : can i use TAPE to backup ? Is there a policy to create many FULL job & daily job for the INC data ?

the answer to the first part of your question is yes.. about the second part, sincerely I don't use tapes.. BTW, as long as you know how SME works and which files/dirs must be into backup set, you can create a custom script too (I guess there are plenty of examples out there)

3rd question : can i attached other smeserver(slave) to a principal(master) smeserver ? The goal is to have one LDAP and many files servers.

ATM this feature is not supported.. we (well, Greg Zartman is..) are working on samba 4 DC AD feature, but it's still in alpha stage

Thanks for all.

you are welcome

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 09:28:25 PM »
i think i've find some answer about AFP here -> https://forums.contribs.org/index.php/topic,48627.msg241675.html#msg241675

Is someone want to create something with this -> http://netatalk.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Netatalk_3.1.9_SRPM_for_Fedora_and_CentOS

well, if you really need it, try to build the rpm and try to adapt e-smith-netatalk rpm to SME9.. but I think you really don't need it ;-)

Offline DanB35

• +0/-0
    • http://www.familybrown.org
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 12:50:29 AM »
MacOSX has largely migrated to SMB, it's true, but Time Machine still requires an AFP share as a backup target unless you do some hacking on the OS.  It's a little unfortunate that SME dropped support for AFP, but I use a FreeNAS box for that, so it isn't a problem.

Offline groulte

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 10:39:19 PM »
Maybe the advantages of netatalk should be :
- support of spotlight search
- timeMachine Backup

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 10:05:10 AM »
Maybe the advantages of netatalk should be :
- support of spotlight search
- timeMachine Backup

maybe, but:
- afp/netatalk support has been dismissed by RH/Centos since epoch (it was supported in SME7/centos4), so we should maintain our packages
- afp/netatalk is useless in a windows/linux and Mac OSX environment, since they all support smb.. I know that afp is something very fancy on mac side, but I remember also that migrating 3 TB of data from a SME7 with afp to a SME8 without it was a nightmare.. mac's file manager, with its color tagging and other "kool" features made the file names useless..

finally.. your best bet is to rebuild netatalk rpm from the source you linked above and try to adapt and rebuild the e-smith-netatalk SME7 package

Offline DanB35

• +0/-0
    • http://www.familybrown.org
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 11:34:32 AM »
- afp/netatalk is useless in a windows/linux and Mac OSX environment, since they all support smb.
If upstream has stopped building packages for netatalk, any remaining points are probably moot, but this isn't true, as has already been pointed out at least twice in this thread.  Sure, SMB is fine for file sharing with Macs, but it doesn't work for Time Machine without OS-level hacking on each client.  Compatibility with the OS's built-in, automatic, incremental backup system is kind of a big deal.  We used to have it, and we don't any more.  However good our reasons may be (and lack of upstream support is probably a pretty good reason), we can't simply pretend we haven't lost anything.

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2016, 12:00:29 PM »
unfortunately I don't have any apple machine around, so I can't test anything..

rewamping old netatalk module could be a good thing.. I'd rebuild both rpms, but I have no time nor possibility to test them

Dan, if you care, open a NFR in bugzilla for netatalk rpm, thank you

Offline groulte

• +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2016, 12:25:07 PM »
I'will take time to understood the mechanism of a RPM and try to update the old package from SME V7.