Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Aha! Addusers is wiping out my groups....

David Trask

Aha! Addusers is wiping out my groups....
« on: August 31, 2002, 07:04:36 AM »
Hi,

I've discovered an issue and I'm not sure how to correct it.  The addusers script that Darrell May wrote is what seems to be wiping out my groups.  I'm not sure exactly what, but I added my users in groups of about 100 or so.  Most of them made it, but once I got up around 500 or so...the server got hung up.  I couldn't do anything...I couldn't access the server manager...I couldn't even reboot using the console...I had to do a hard reboot using the reset button.  Once it rebooted I checked the /etc/groups file and found most of my groups gone....meaning groups like squid and so forth...in fact this is what I have left. Notice that I'm missing a lot of necessary stuff.  Any ideas?  I did notice at one point when things were working...the system had a group for each user...in other words a long list.  Any ideas or is there another way to add my users "in bulk"...I need to do this before Monday so please respond quickly.  thanks!

root:x:0:root,admin
bin:x:1:root,bin,daemon
daemon:x:2:root,bin,daemon
sys:x:3:root,bin,adm
adm:x:4:root,adm,daemon
tty:x:5:
disk:x:6:root
lp:x:7:daemon,lp
mem:x:8:
kmem:x:9:
wheel:x:10:root
mail:x:12:mail
news:x:13:news
uucp:x:14:uucp
man:x:15:
games:x:20:
mysql:x:27:
gopher:x:30:
dip:x:40:
ftp:x:50:
dns:x:53:
ldap:x:55:
lock:x:54:
nobody:x:99:
users:x:100:
admin:x:101:www
www:x:102:admin
public:x:103:
shared:x:500:public,admin,www,dtrask,otrask,ntrask,lunchcount,jaddy,alallen,anallen,ballen,jallen,aalthenn,eamelotte,narmstro$
bwood:x:5080:

David Trask