Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Hosting netscape bookmark and mail files

Reggie Williams

Hosting netscape bookmark and mail files
« on: September 09, 1999, 07:29:50 PM »
I want to use the e-smith server to host my netscape bookmark and mail files. I want each user to keep all these files in one place, so it won't matter which machine they logon to. Can e-smith do this?

Joseph Morrison

RE: Hosting netscape bookmark and mail files
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 1999, 06:29:14 PM »
Hi Reggie,

think you can do what you are asking for using an ibay. You could create an ibay with public read access and local write access, no password required. Then anyone can save their bookmarks onto the ibay using Windows file sharing, and the bookmarks would be visible anywhere on the Internet by going to the right URL.

Charlie Brady

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 1999, 09:11:02 AM »
Reggie Williams wrote:
-------------------------------
I want to use the e-smith server to host my netscape bookmark and mail files. I want each user to keep all these files in one place, so it won't matter which machine they logon to. Can e-smith do this?

Charlie Brady

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 1999, 09:14:55 AM »
Reggie Williams wrote:

=========

Woops, sorry for the empty post.

I think Joe has misunderstood you - you don't want all users to share the same bookmarks and mail files, but each users personal bookmarks and mailfiles to be server based. Is that right?

If so, then you can map each user's home ibay to a windows drive letter, and configure netscape to install its data files on that drive.

I have a project in mind to modify the e-smith add user procedure so that it creates
appropriate netscape configuration files and directories when you add a new user.

Reggie Williams

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 1999, 09:26:20 PM »
Thanks Charlie, that's exactly what I want to do. It's very annoying to get onto another machine and not have your bookmarks or not be able to retrieve your old mail messages. Do I have to reinstall netscape or can I modify the path to the files that I want to store on the server and them move them there?

Charlie Brady

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 1999, 02:22:28 PM »
Reggie Williams wrote:
Thanks Charlie, that's exactly what I want to do. It's very annoying to get onto another machine and not have your bookmarks or not be able to retrieve your old mail messages. Do I have to reinstall netscape or can I modify the path to the files that I want to store on the server and them move them there?

Charlie Brady

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 1999, 02:27:26 PM »
Woops - sorry about the last post - I hit Post instead of Quote.

The path to the files on the server is contained in a binary file that netscape creates (called nsreg.dat I think)- so I think you will need to re-install netscape. Keep a backup of your netscape directory, then install netscape using your server home share name as part of the installation path.
I don't know whether you will need to reinstall netscape on all your computers, or you can just copy the nsreg.dat file. Email me and let me know how you go. And let's write it up for the e-smith FAQ.

Reggie Williams wrote: