Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

SME 9.2 rejecting emails with large attachments and fix

Offline Peasant

• +2/-0
SME 9.2 rejecting emails with large attachments and fix
« on: May 06, 2021, 08:47:27 PM »
Hello,
I look after a server that was bouncing back emails sent to it with messages greater than 15M in size. I also run a server here for my own use, and it was fine. The bounces all stated that mail.mydomain.co.uk had rejected the message because the message was too big. For example:
Code: [Select]
The original message was received at Wed, 5 May 2021 13:47:11 +0100 (BST)
from mail.otherdomain.com [xx.xx.xx.xx]

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
<user@mydomain.co.uk>
    (reason: 552 Message too big!)

I checked out the wiki entry here: https://wiki.koozali.org/Email#Set_max_email_size

and also this forum post: https://forums.contribs.org/index.php?topic=54070.0;topicseen

There were two differences in settings. The first was in clamd MemLimit, which was 15M on my server, and 18M on the problem server. This was because I'd had the error reported in the forum post a while back.
The second was in the qmail MaxMessageSize, which was 45000000 on my server, but only 15000000 on the problem server. After changing this to 45000000 on the problem server it appears to have fixed things.

I'll not raise a bug as I don't know if I've changed my settings at some time in the past and just forgotten.
Jim

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
Re: SME 9.2 rejecting emails with large attachments and fix
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 10:50:02 PM »
Nicely resolved, no fuss :-)
--
qui scribit bis legit

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2021, 09:21:41 AM »
What would be the way to solve that issue? I'm struggling with that issue, especially since I often have to send/receive e-mails with big attachments for professional reasons...

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2021, 09:53:17 AM »
 :? Op detailed how they resolved the issue..read the post carefully
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline Peasant

• +2/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2021, 09:56:46 AM »
What would be the way to solve that issue? I'm struggling with that issue, especially since I often have to send/receive e-mails with big attachments for professional reasons...

The problem I had was that messages being sent to the user were bouncing back because the total message size was too large. That's different than the maximum message size for sending emails. I'll deal with the problem I had first.
First thing to do is check what is the maximum size of email that qmail will send to a users mailbox:
config getprop qmail MaxMessageSizeOn the problem server this came back at 15000000. On my own server it was 45000000
I then changed the qmail MaxMessageSize on the problem server by:
config setprop qmail MaxMessageSize 45000000followed by
signal-event email-update
If your problem is sending emails with large attachments then it could be due to the problem here:
https://forums.contribs.org/index.php?topic=54070.0;topicseen
In which case you want to increase the amount of RAM available to clamav as described in the thread.
Jim

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2021, 09:59:50 AM »
The man is a machine :-)
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline Peasant

• +2/-0