Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Pre upgrade ponderings

Offline david000

• +0/-0
Re: Pre upgrade ponderings
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2021, 05:05:31 PM »
I'm still plucking up the courage to have a go at this.   Given the age of the boxes I'm using,  does anyone have a suggestion for a cheap new box to install too ?

I usually pick up cheap Dells for office stuff but it seems you can no longer buy without an OS, although I could live with that. Maybe something like this:

https://www.dell.com/en-uk/work/shop/desktop-computers-for-businesses/vostro-desktop-3681/spd/vostro-3681-desktop/s304vd3681bts01_2101

Edit - in an effort to actually make a start I've started a test install on an old PC I had sitting about. The installer thew an error during the initial selections a couple of times but 3rd time it went to the actual install.

Or so it seemed.  On reboot it drops into an endless loop quickly coming back to the start menu over again. If I select the recovery option it makes no difference but I can get to the command line.

I'll give it another go and see how I get on.   The hardware on this box may be out of the ordinary as it was from a smll UK maker called 'Mesh'. Maybe different hardware will be better.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 08:00:02 PM by david000 »

Offline Jean-Philippe Pialasse

• +11/-0
  • aka Unnilennium
    • http://smeserver.pialasse.com
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2021, 08:20:12 PM »
installer is python. let it settle down on nee screen. do not rush to click on anything before screen stop to refresh. 

Offline ReetP

• +5/-0
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2021, 10:47:22 PM »
I'm still plucking up the courage to have a go at this.   Given the age of the boxes I'm using,  does anyone have a suggestion for a cheap new box to install too ?

Go to ebay and pick up a proper secondhand server.

Old rack servers are 2 a penny.

Get one with plenty of RAM and a few drives and run Proxmox.

HP - look for say a tower ML310 or 350, or in racks a DL380G7 or Dell equivalent.

You can buy a ton of 2/h enterprise drives for messing about.

You will never go back to using an old desktop as a server....
1. Read the Manual
2. Read the Wiki
3. Don't ask for support on Unsupported versions of software
4. I have a job, wife, and kids and do this in my spare time. If you want something fixed, please help.

Bugs are easier than you think: http://wiki.contribs.org/Bugzilla_Help

If you love SME and don't want to lose it, join in: http://wiki.contribs.org/Koozali_Foundation

Offline david000

• +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2021, 05:21:14 PM »
Thanks both.

I'll have a look at a s/h server.  A friend runs an IT recycling company so I expect they should have some kicking about.

The test install failed. The install goes through ok but in restart it gets into an endless reboot loop.  I'll need to try and work out how to extract the log to a USB drive (my command line skills are lacking) but for info the screen output mentions a 'Firmaware bug' AMD v1 IOAPCIO not in IVRS Table and No southbridge IOAPICfound.

It's not a problem as I'll try with something else.

Offline david000

• +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2021, 05:09:05 PM »
I apologize for asking but google has failed to to provide.

I've a 1tb usb drive which thought I'd try and back up to from the console. I've formatted it on my PC but the SME admin console doesn't recognise the USB file system as valid.

I can see the drive listed as   sdc - sdc1:

[root@backup-sme ~]# lsblk
NAME                   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE  MOUNTPOINT
sda                      8:0    0 931.5G  0 disk
├─sda1                   8:1    0   250M  0 part
│ └─md0                  9:0    0   250M  0 raid1 /boot
└─sda2                   8:2    0 931.3G  0 part
  └─md1                  9:1    0 931.1G  0 raid1
    ├─main-root (dm-0) 253:0    0 929.3G  0 lvm   /
    └─main-swap (dm-1) 253:1    0   1.9G  0 lvm   [SWAP]
sdb                      8:16   0 931.5G  0 disk
├─sdb1                   8:17   0   250M  0 part
│ └─md0                  9:0    0   250M  0 raid1 /boot
└─sdb2                   8:18   0 931.3G  0 part
  └─md1                  9:1    0 931.1G  0 raid1
    ├─main-root (dm-0) 253:0    0 929.3G  0 lvm   /
    └─main-swap (dm-1) 253:1    0   1.9G  0 lvm   [SWAP]
sr0                     11:0    1  1024M  0 rom
sdc                      8:32   0 931.5G  0 disk
└─sdc1                   8:33   0 931.5G  0 part

I assumed that reformatting the disk would fix the format issue but I'm struggling to find the correct commend or access the "sdc1"

If anyone has a suggestion or can point me to a an online resource I'd be grateful. I've tried the #sudo mkfs.vfat /sdc1  command but I suspect mkfs isn't part of the system ? 

Offline Jean-Philippe Pialasse

• +11/-0
  • aka Unnilennium
    • http://smeserver.pialasse.com
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2021, 07:23:49 PM »
mkfs is part of SME.

Online warren

• +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2021, 08:29:48 PM »
I apologize for asking but google has failed to to provide.

I've a 1tb usb drive which thought I'd try and back up to from the console. I've formatted it on my PC but the SME admin console doesn't recognise the USB file system as valid.

I can see the drive listed as   sdc - sdc1:

I assumed that reformatting the disk would fix the format issue but I'm struggling to find the correct commend or access the "sdc1"

If anyone has a suggestion or can point me to a an online resource I'd be grateful. I've tried the #sudo mkfs.vfat /sdc1  command but I suspect mkfs isn't part of the system ?

You dont need to use sudo

Code: [Select]
# mkfs.vfat  /dev/sdc1

Look here for USB disks : https://wiki.koozali.org/USBDisks

I would rather use/do format it as ext3:
first check what existing partitions are on it
# fdisk /dev/sdc

Delete any existing dos vfat partitions see => https://wiki.koozali.org/AddExtraHardDisk#Partitioning_the_disk
Partitioning the disk.

then do :
# mkfs ext3 -L MyLabel /dev/sdc1

« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 08:31:50 PM by warren »

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2021, 02:36:01 AM »
On any used disk I always clear it using  # dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sd? bs=512 count=1 before setting up and formating..most of my testing now is is VM but when I was using bar metal above was essential when swapping disks about.

Just makle sure you know which drive you are nuking :-)

--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline david000

• +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2021, 12:14:33 PM »
Thanks all, I'll take another look over the weekend and see how I get on.

Best

David

Offline david000

• +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2021, 04:33:34 PM »
You dont need to use sudo

# mkfs.vfat  /dev/sdc1

Thanks. That all helped a lot.

I managed to format the USB and it's now trying to back up 55Gb over a basic USB port so I'll see how that goes.  I've ordered a s/h newer box to install the V10 on so I'll have a go next week.

Edit - All backed up from the admin console taking about 2.5 hrs.  Fingers crossed it will restore to the V10 once I have that set up.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 07:28:24 PM by david000 »

Offline david000

• +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2021, 05:06:58 PM »
Update -

I've successfully install v10 on a new Del box using a USB stick and that went easily.

I backed up my live production server via the console to a USB drive (Putty in as admin - not server manager). The machine said that the backup would be around 55Gb and it backed up in about 3 hours.

On installing V10, I restored from the USB drive when prompted, but it only found a 33Gb backup file.  That seems to restore OK and now I've clicked the correct date sort,  I think all the email is there ok. 

I've yet to try and access the ibays

I've connected the new server to the network now with email collection disabled so I'll see if I can get roundcube and the rest installed.

I think, so far, so good....

« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 05:43:35 PM by david000 »

Offline ReetP

• +5/-0
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2021, 07:17:09 PM »
Did you actually check the file size?

If compressed it could be wrong.

No idea how Roundcube does things but think it is still just an Imap client like Horde.

So next take a look in your user mail directories.

/home/e-smith/users or similar. Use 'mc' to have a browse around and see if you can see newer mail files.

Could be the indexes have got trashed so worth a look.
1. Read the Manual
2. Read the Wiki
3. Don't ask for support on Unsupported versions of software
4. I have a job, wife, and kids and do this in my spare time. If you want something fixed, please help.

Bugs are easier than you think: http://wiki.contribs.org/Bugzilla_Help

If you love SME and don't want to lose it, join in: http://wiki.contribs.org/Koozali_Foundation

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2021, 11:25:50 PM »
Update -
I've successfully install v10 on a new Del box using a USB stick and that went easily.
---------snip------
I think, so far, so good....

:pint:
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline david000

• +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2021, 01:34:31 PM »
Did you actually check the file size?

If compressed it could be wrong.

I'm sure you are right and it's the difference between uncompressed and the compressed backup files.  Looking at the 'Disk Usage' I've installed to the server manager,  on both systems it's about the same.

I confess I managed to confuse myself when opening the webmail and found the email sorted oldest first..... /blush/

Testing continues.  The backup in the server manager put up a fight (cifs issue) but resetting the NAS to SMB2 minimum fixed that.

Offline david000

• +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2021, 03:47:12 PM »
A little more progress. The daily backup is up and running and seemingly backing up to a local NAS.

I'm trying to understand why email isn't being collected from my POP box under the "email reception settings".  Is there a log which would show if the current settings are being rejected, and why ?

« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 04:15:29 PM by david000 »