Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

MPoA (RFC1483/2684)/Static IP

Offline cattledog

• +0/-0
MPoA (RFC1483/2684)/Static IP
« on: October 21, 2021, 10:36:21 AM »
Hi I use Optus and my connection is MPoA I have a static IP and want to set SME10 up as Server/Gateway is this possible with SME10 my modem is 192.168.0.1 so I assume that with the SME10 would then be 192.168.0.2-192.168.0.255 and would I select Use Static Ip Address for External Interface Configuration? as I have a email address as user name and a password.  Cheers in advance

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
Re: MPoA (RFC1483/2684)/Static IP
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2021, 11:00:23 AM »
What NBN, eg FTTN, FTTC FTTP, HCF etc, optus supplied modem or your choice..

Modem is going to have to be set to bridged mode at a minimum..whirlpool has lots of info on how for different hardware and NBN..
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline cattledog

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2021, 11:24:47 AM »
What NBN, eg FTTN, FTTC FTTP, HCF etc, optus supplied modem or your choice..

Modem is going to have to be set to bridged mode at a minimum..whirlpool has lots of info on how for different hardware and NBN..

Draytek 130 FTTC and modem not in bridge mode running sme 9.2

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2021, 01:10:52 PM »
So tells us about your current setup ie what mode is the 9.2 box in, what is the network topology..

My previous setup was server-gateway mode with modem set to bridged mode, but with NBN FTTN have gone back to server only as bridging the modem prevents use of the Voip service.
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline Jean-Philippe Pialasse

• +11/-0
  • aka Unnilennium
    • http://smeserver.pialasse.com
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2021, 01:18:23 PM »
also any particular reason to want to have the modem act as a router between Internet and the SME Server which is more than capable and would let your network KISS.

instead you are trying a double NAT which increase complexity adding needs to forward ports or use dmz and does not necessarily add security.

without adding you could add routing issue problems with vpns as 192.168.0.0 is the most frequent default used network and might create collisions.

Offline cattledog

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2021, 02:19:14 AM »
So tells us about your current setup ie what mode is the 9.2 box in, what is the network topology..

My previous setup was server-gateway mode with modem set to bridged mode, but with NBN FTTN have gone back to server only as bridging the modem prevents use of the Voip service.

Sounds as if you were with optus as well, I dont have a problem with voip as I plug modem in connect direct to switch and have all the settings in the phone (gigaset ph ie: password username and so on) not sure if I loose this putting the draytek into bridge, will contact draytek and as if I loose voip

Offline cattledog

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2021, 02:22:13 AM »
also any particular reason to want to have the modem act as a router between Internet and the SME Server which is more than capable and would let your network KISS.

instead you are trying a double NAT which increase complexity adding needs to forward ports or use dmz and does not necessarily add security.

without adding you could add routing issue problems with vpns as 192.168.0.0 is the most frequent default used network and might create collisions.

I did not know that with sme that you could eliminate the modem?

Yes, you are correct I would love a more simple way any instructions would be helpful (KISS)

« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 02:25:26 AM by cattledog »

Offline Jean-Philippe Pialasse

• +11/-0
  • aka Unnilennium
    • http://smeserver.pialasse.com
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2021, 02:56:55 PM »
you can not get ride of the modem, but surely can get ride of its routing function.

see its manual and probably Terry will be able to give some clues as he seems to know similar modems.

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2021, 03:39:42 PM »
I did not know that with sme that you could eliminate the modem?

Yes, you are correct I would love a more simple way any instructions would be helpful (KISS)

Modem is essential, set to bridged mode so all it does is the link, authentication is done by the server.

You didnt describe your current setup..below is my old setup, server-gateway mode with modem bridged

Modem, just does the job of moving the electrons, Server has two nics, First connected to modem and will have the public static IP and a second that provides local DHCP and services to the internal network and can have an ip in range 192.168.x.x (or whatever youy decide for the internal lan)

line in - -> Modem -> Server -> home network

On a FTTN if I do above I lose voip. once bridged the modem is no longer accessable from the network, it is just a dumb port

Sticky point with NBN, most ISPs provides own modems, some lock them and/or prevent use of your own, some allow you to dig around and set as needed, I am not with optus, but with iiNet and can bridge supplied modem or use my own.

Have a read through the whirlpool forums there are threads on all isps, modems etc and what can or cannot be done...

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/

Added: Whirlpool
Optus
IPoE (DHCP)
No login required
First connection must be done with Optus supplied modem
After that, can switch to BYO modem but MUST copy Optus Modem VDSL MAC Address to your modem MAC – Most modems support this feature. (Certainly the el-cheapo TP-Link TD-W9970 does)

So dunno, suggest you do some reading of whirlpool the info will be there
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 03:46:59 PM by TerryF »
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline cattledog

• +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2021, 10:41:04 AM »
Modem is essential, set to bridged mode so all it does is the link, authentication is done by the server.

You didnt describe your current setup..below is my old setup, server-gateway mode with modem bridged

Modem, just does the job of moving the electrons, Server has two nics, First connected to modem and will have the public static IP and a second that provides local DHCP and services to the internal network and can have an ip in range 192.168.x.x (or whatever youy decide for the internal lan)

line in - -> Modem -> Server -> home network

On a FTTN if I do above I lose voip. once bridged the modem is no longer accessable from the network, it is just a dumb port

Sticky point with NBN, most ISPs provides own modems, some lock them and/or prevent use of your own, some allow you to dig around and set as needed, I am not with optus, but with iiNet and can bridge supplied modem or use my own.

Have a read through the whirlpool forums there are threads on all isps, modems etc and what can or cannot be done...

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/

Added: Whirlpool
Optus
IPoE (DHCP)
No login required
First connection must be done with Optus supplied modem
After that, can switch to BYO modem but MUST copy Optus Modem VDSL MAC Address to your modem MAC – Most modems support this feature. (Certainly the el-cheapo TP-Link TD-W9970 does)

So dunno, suggest you do some reading of whirlpool the info will be there
Cheers TerryF will be following this all up by next weekend will let you all know how I get on

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2021, 02:00:55 AM »
Cheers TerryF will be following this all up by next weekend will let you all know how I get on

You might have some work to do..read whirlpool good info there on modems etc and this https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/NBN/Sagemcom-5366-TN-bridge-mode/td-p/598165

I beleive Optus FTTN supplied modems are Sagecom
--
qui scribit bis legit