Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Incremental Backups Not working via Built in Console Backups

Offline Mattj

• +0/-0
Incremental Backups Not working via Built in Console Backups
« on: December 10, 2021, 02:14:14 PM »
Hello,

Looking for a little advice please, our incremental backups no longer work.

It is a CIFS share backup, linked directly to one of our network drives, logins are all correct and it connects.

The settings are;

Number of Rotating Sets = 3, Daily Backups in each set =6
Workstation Backup time = 5:30pm
Optional backup session timeout = 24hours, Dont timeout a full backup is Ticked
Backup compression level = 6, full backup is allowed everyday.

usually we would set the full backup to be either a Friday or a Monday, but we have to set this as everyday in order to get a backup.

if we were to set this as a single day we would get errors like this;

i have replaced our server name and ip with placeholder names in the below.
==================================
DAILY BACKUP TO WORKSTATION REPORT
==================================
Backup of **SERVER** started at Sun Nov 21 17:30:15 2021 Destination //**SERVERIP**/sme_backups/sme/**SERVER**/set2
No existing reference backup, will make full backup
*** No backup allowed or error during backup *** Not a permitted day for full backup. Aborting...
Next full backup in 5 days.

The backup used to create the Set folders and move the backup slices into them once complete, this is no longer happening which in turn is preventing incremental backups from working too.

Can anyone shed any light on what potentially is the issue?

Thank you

Matt

Offline sages

• +0/-0
    • http://www.sages.com.au
Re: Incremental Backups Not working via Built in Console Backups
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2021, 02:58:06 PM »
My config for incremental daily backup, full backup sunday, 3 sets

Backup is Enabled.
Backup is made on LAN workstation xx.xx.xx.xx via nfs
Destination backup share folder is backup/folder
Number of rotating backup sets is 3
Number of daily backups contained in each set is 7
Compression level (0-9) of backup is 6
Daily backup occurs at 0:08
Each daily backup session is cleanly timed out after 8 hours.except full backups which are cleanly timed out after 24 hours
Full backup session (new backup sets) is allowed only on Sunday

Your number of daily backups is 6 where mine is 7

https://wiki.koozali.org/Backup_with_dar

from wiki
If you want a fixed number of increments, less than a multiple of 7, in each set, then choose "Full backup is allowed on" = Everyday. eg Daily backups in each set = 6 will result in 1 Full backup and 5 incremental backups, on each full backup all backups are deleted including the incrementals.

It's been a while since I started with a clean slate (ie no existing backup) so I don't recollect any problem as you reported unless I had a corrupted backup. And from memory all I did was delete the corrupted set and then backup from the command line.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 03:00:29 PM by sages »

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
Re: Incremental Backups Not working via Built in Console Backups
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2021, 11:38:00 PM »
How big is backup set, how long does it take for a full to normally complete? just for info...

rename the back directory, setup workstation backup re full sets and inc sets as you wish save and and initiate a new backup from the cli, # /sbin/e-smith/do_backupwk , it will create a new full backup, start the backup so it has enough time to complete before rolling over

Let system then get on with it..suggest you also start the full so it has a chance to complete on same day/date eg start at 00:30, why? just my preference :-)

the email is telling you or at least giving a good hint

Backup of **SERVER** started at Sun Nov 21 17:30:15 2021 Destination //**SERVERIP**/sme_backups/sme/**SERVER**/set2
No existing reference backup, will make full backup
*** No backup allowed or error during backup *** Not a permitted day for full backup. Aborting...
Next full backup in 5 days.

The full backup set2 is a dud, without that it wont/cant do incs, so it try a full, but was not day for it, you had it set for a Mon or Friday
--
qui scribit bis legit