Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

SME Server 11 coming?

Offline wdepot

• +0/-0
    • http://westerndepot.com
SME Server 11 coming?
« on: January 27, 2022, 01:41:45 AM »
I'm just wondering if work has already begun to update SME Server to CentOS Stream since CentOS 7 on which SME Server 10 is based is going to hit end of life in about a year and a half. SME 10 wasn't finalized until well after the end of life for CentOS 6 which meant no security updates for SME 9.2 for several months before we could finally upgrade, not an ideal situation. I know the pandemic probably caused part of the problem. I'm just hoping we'll have a new version of SME Server before SME 10 hits the same end of life problem as SME 9.2.

Since CentOS Stream is a continuously updated version I'm guessing that the next version of SME will have to limit the updates it makes available to only those CentOS updates that are proven stable.

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
Re: SME Server 11 coming?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2022, 02:03:11 AM »
I'm just wondering if work has already begun to update SME Server to CentOS Stream since CentOS 7 on which SME -----snip----

Since CentOS Stream is a continuously updated version I'm guessing that the next version of SME will have to limit the updates it makes available to only those CentOS updates that are proven stable.

Noi guessing needed - https://forums.koozali.org/index.php/topic,54512.0.html

and many hands make for light and in this case quick work
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline ReetP

• +5/-0
Re: SME Server 11 coming?
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2022, 10:48:50 AM »
I'm just wondering if work has already begun to update SME Server to CentOS Stream since CentOS 7 on which SME Server 10 is based is going to hit end of life in about a year and a half. SME 10 wasn't finalized until well after the end of life for CentOS 6 which meant no security updates for SME 9.2 for several months before we could finally upgrade, not an ideal situation. I know the pandemic probably caused part of the problem. I'm just hoping we'll have a new version of SME Server before SME 10 hits the same end of life problem as SME 9.2.

This sort of question really gets my goat these days, beyond having answered it several times before.

There are only two questions to ask here.

What did you do to help get Koozali SME v10 out?

What have you done about working on Koozali SME v11?

Koozali SME is open source and a collaborative project. That means it is everyones problem. Not just 'their' problem. You can blame yourself for it being late.

The code is there and free to use but with absolutely no strings attached. If you want it faster you are welcome to go work on it yourself.

If you want it on time start helping. It really is as simple as that. Don't tell us how busy you are or how little you know. You expect others to give up their free time with families and friends and learn. Why don't you? Take some personal responsibility instead of finger pointing and blaming others.

We are all volunteers working in our spare time and none of us do this for a job or earn a living from it.

The few of us who actually do any work here will do what we can, when we can. But that is it.

We are aware of EOL dates and plenty of other things, but we only have 24 hours in one day. We can usually do the impossible now, but miracles take longer.

We don't just need coders. There is plenty you can do to help. Testing, bug verifying, documentation etc. We will find you something to do. We just need your time. There is plenty of info here on how to volunteer and get involved. There are no excuses.

I also note from your email address that you probably run an online business so presumably profit from using Koozali SME and our spare time? So if you can't donate your time we look forward to your cash donation.....

We know. As pointed out by Terry, read the forums for this sort of answer.
1. Read the Manual
2. Read the Wiki
3. Don't ask for support on Unsupported versions of software
4. I have a job, wife, and kids and do this in my spare time. If you want something fixed, please help.

Bugs are easier than you think: http://wiki.contribs.org/Bugzilla_Help

If you love SME and don't want to lose it, join in: http://wiki.contribs.org/Koozali_Foundation