Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

HCL for SME Server 10 (specifically ethernet)

HCL for SME Server 10 (specifically ethernet)
« on: March 09, 2022, 09:33:48 AM »
I've been going around in circles on the sites looking for a list of supported ethernet cards for SME 10. I tried to install it yesterday on a spare ASRock motherboard and it installed despite finding no supported ethernet adaptors. I've founda couple of references to a 'list of supported adapters' but can't find the list.

It has a Realtek RTL8111DL onboard Gigabit LAN, but all I can find on forums is a post from 2010 about SME 7.2.

Thanks,
Jason.

Offline ReetP

• +5/-0
Re: HCL for SME Server 10 (specifically ethernet)
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2022, 10:22:24 AM »
Koozali SME Server v10 is built on CentOS 7 which is rebuild of RHEL 7.

So you need to check their HCLs.

If it runs on those it should run on SME.

Probably some debug info you can use here:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1650984

Looks like yours uses a r8169 driver BUT. No guarantees and you need to do some homework.

Also note.

On old boards, apart from being slow (as previously discussed), you can get the classic bad capacitor issues.

There is plenty of decent cheap secondhand hardware about.

Most of my kit is older enterprise stuff as it is usually bullet proof, and tested & supported on all the major OS. Spares are pretty cheap & plentiful.

Just a thought!!
1. Read the Manual
2. Read the Wiki
3. Don't ask for support on Unsupported versions of software
4. I have a job, wife, and kids and do this in my spare time. If you want something fixed, please help.

Bugs are easier than you think: http://wiki.contribs.org/Bugzilla_Help

If you love SME and don't want to lose it, join in: http://wiki.contribs.org/Koozali_Foundation

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2022, 11:29:31 AM »
Koozali SME Server v10 is built on CentOS 7 which is rebuild of RHEL 7.

So you need to check their HCLs.

If it runs on those it should run on SME.

Probably some debug info you can use here:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1650984

Looks like yours uses a r8169 driver BUT. No guarantees and you need to do some homework.

Also note.

On old boards, apart from being slow (as previously discussed), you can get the classic bad capacitor issues.

There is plenty of decent cheap secondhand hardware about.

Most of my kit is older enterprise stuff as it is usually bullet proof, and tested & supported on all the major OS. Spares are pretty cheap & plentiful.

Just a thought!!

I'll get hold of the motherboard and run some tests before upgrading from the old system. My main criteria for this server is low power and the current one runs at <30W.

I used to run SME server 7.1 on a Compaq Proliant 5500 Xeon many years ago but couldn't afford that cost on the electricity these days! I do have a HP 380DL server but with the cost of electricity set to quadruple in the UK I'm trying to shrink my bill not boost it!

Thanks,
Jason.

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2022, 11:53:19 AM »
Get a hold of a used HP N36/40L or N54L I use both, small and compact, low power consumption, more than useful.
--
qui scribit bis legit

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2022, 12:27:17 PM »
Get a hold of a used HP N36/40L or N54L I use both, small and compact, low power consumption, more than useful.

Just found an N54L on eBay for £85, certainly a lot more horsepower than my current box. What sort of idle wattage to these run at? The Turion II Neo processor is rated at 25W which is almost what my whole system currently runs at.

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2022, 12:39:29 PM »
Just found an N54L on eBay for £85, certainly a lot more horsepower than my current box. What sort of idle wattage to these run at? The Turion II Neo processor is rated at 25W which is almost what my whole system currently runs at.

https://homeservershow.com/forums/topic/6104-power-consumption/
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline Jean-Philippe Pialasse

• +11/-0
  • aka Unnilennium
    • http://smeserver.pialasse.com
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2022, 01:28:18 PM »
as pointed by John check Red Hat website for list of supported hardware against rhel 7.

You are in uk so you can have a check at mini-itx.com to choose a mobo.
I get the power consumption. But check the cost of the mobo and extra hardware and shipping vs the cost of power. 
Is it a one year difference or ten years?

you might have a try to elrepo updated drivers kmod ir even their kernel for some unsupported hardware like ethernet adapter.

In my experience asrock is poorly supported by RH because of their choice in integrating some hardware.  I had more chance with what is on jetway, asus or intel boards. 

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2022, 02:23:27 PM »
as pointed by John check Red Hat website for list of supported hardware against rhel 7.

You are in uk so you can have a check at mini-itx.com to choose a mobo.
I get the power consumption. But check the cost of the mobo and extra hardware and shipping vs the cost of power. 
Is it a one year difference or ten years?

you might have a try to elrepo updated drivers kmod ir even their kernel for some unsupported hardware like ethernet adapter.

In my experience asrock is poorly supported by RH because of their choice in integrating some hardware.  I had more chance with what is on jetway, asus or intel boards.

I'm just running a test install on the ASRock A330GC board and the network card appears to be detected fine. I was thinking it was quite slow to install, but then I remembered the Intel D946GCLF board has an SSD and the A330GC is running on a 5400rpm 2.5" drive.

Just for reference, SME 10 running on the single core Atom 230 1.6GHz feels fine now the SSL certificate has been generated. Everything is quicker than it used to be under 9.2, presumably because it now runs from SSD instead of 5400rpm 2.5" hard drive, even running spam-assassin scripts feel much more responsive than before.

I've revived many elderly Windows laptops by upgrading them to SSD and this also seems to have paid dividends on my mail server too!

Thanks to everyone for their input.
Jason.

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2022, 06:27:20 AM »
Just for reference, SME 10 running on the single core Atom 230 1.6GHz feels fine now the SSL certificate has been generated. Everything is quicker than it used to be under 9.2, presumably because it now runs from SSD instead of 5400rpm 2.5" hard drive, even running spam-assassin scripts feel much more responsive than before.

Yep, during all the testing alpha to now, sme10 always a little crisper etc
--
qui scribit bis legit