Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

sme migration procedure woes

Offline metalloid

• +0/-0
sme migration procedure woes
« on: June 05, 2022, 10:03:31 PM »
Hi

Newbie koozali user here (*)
I'm in the migration porocess from sme9 to sme10 and am using https://wiki.koozali.org/SME_Server:Documentation:Administration_Manual:Chapter5#Option:_Restoring_a_Backup
as my reference

I have not installed the sme9 server, back then, which has a role of servergateway and runs on a proxmox VM
The sme10 server is also running on a proxmox VM.

I got failures when I attempted to make cron scheduled backups (through the sme web interface)
A physical connection of usb drives is of course out of the question, but I have made on both machines drives, where I backed up, then (using sftp) copied that bq, to sme10 server backup drive

The sme9 server has about 70GB of data

I should have known that this procedure would fail since I did not do any dbase procedure to make then all one

Can anyone be kind enough to point me to mistakes I'm making, or at least refer me to a FAQ which deals with different backup restore scenarios, so I can identify my mistakes, correct and thus migrate this sme9 server to sme10?

(*)
I know about & work with linux since the comp.os.unix* days when Linus published the first alpha on those news groups.
I used to fetch the kernel sources via a Telebit 9600bps external modem
« Last Edit: June 05, 2022, 10:15:31 PM by metalloid »

Offline Jean-Philippe Pialasse

• +11/-0
  • aka Unnilennium
    • http://smeserver.pialasse.com
Re: sme migration procedure woes
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2022, 10:31:27 PM »
create a new virtual disk for your sme9
format it

use console backup and choose to backup on this disk.  from my experience the new disk is detected to do than. 

then handle proxmox to have this disk associated and connected to your new vm.
it might require some manual intervention

finally use the restore after install.

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2022, 10:48:54 PM »
I got failures when I attempted to make cron scheduled backups (through the sme web interface)
A physical connection of usb drives is of course out of the question, but I have made on both machines drives, where I backed up, then (using sftp) copied that bq, to sme10 server backup drive

I have a proxmox box that I do all my testing of sme10 on, I have setup and performed backups using the server-manager backup to workstation to an external networked windows 10 PC and/or a removeable drive and then performed a restore to a new VM that has been configured for workstation backup using same settings as original VM. Setup of new VM with same settings being the critical factor.

I am also curious why you say a backup to USB is out of the question, using the console I have also done straight backup to usb and restore from usb when doing a new install. 

Also using the server-manager workstation backup to a removebale drive. usb does need to be setup as part of hardware when VM is created, I find if a device is plugged in when that is done it makes future use easier.
--
qui scribit bis legit

• +11/-0
  • aka Unnilennium
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2022, 12:30:14 AM »
depends where is your prox:
on bare metal in front of you you can use usb
in a far away datacenter no bananas!

Offline metalloid

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2022, 12:33:23 AM »

use console backup and choose to backup on this disk.  from my experience the new disk is detected to do that. 

The console backup procedure to removable media worked perfectly.

I shall report when I have done the restore to the new SME10

Offline metalloid

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2022, 12:35:13 AM »

I am also curious why you say a backup to USB is out of the question

The proxmox server environment is provided remotely, so no physical access to any hardware

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2022, 03:52:17 AM »
in a far away datacenter no bananas!

yes, always prefered apples :-)
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline metalloid

• +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2022, 01:47:44 AM »

then handle proxmox to have this disk associated and connected to your new vm.
it might require some manual intervention

I am here to report success after having followed your advice!

I did an sftp of the tgz from the console backup drive to another one on the sme10 VM
I had to do a restore which I chose from the console, I manged to get that to finalize with success after trials and errors, which I have to contribute to the way that the sme9 server was heavily customized by the builder
Now all I have to do is collect all contribs which were installed on the SME9 server, install them or their equivalents on sme10 and that task is finished

I've already changed the IP's of sme10 to its assigned one so there is no conflict there anymore, the rest of the tasks which are mainly contrib installations in sme10 should be routine

• +11/-0
  • aka Unnilennium
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2022, 02:48:53 AM »
one final note : some contribs store their data out of the backup tree. You might have to rsync few folder depending on the contribs you have.