Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

SME V10 to V10.1 Restore, Permission Denied Error when accessing User Home Dir

Offline trevorh

• +0/-0
We have been running SME Server for several years. Last year we did a fresh install of V10 and copied all data to the new machine & manually configured all settings, so a fresh start. Now wanting to move the server to a new machine this week we installed and patched V10.1 on the target machine (HP 8100 i7). We then restored data from the V10 server via Backup from Workstation from our backup location on our NAS. Added Contribs etc. All is ok excepting that data to the Users Home Dir has not been restored (no user data is showing in Quotas), nor can the User access the Home Dir from a workstation. Other IBays are accessible as normal by the same user, the user name is 6 characters long, all plain text. When trying to access the server from a workstation running Linux Mint (current version) this results in "Failed to Mount WIndows Share - Permission Denied". Access from a Win7 Virtual PC results in the same error. A second PC also running Linux gives the same error. The issue appears permissions related on the SME 10.1, possibly the Restore did not set something correctly although "Restore Completed" was correctly displayed at the end. Any clues please where to look in order to correct this, this is new territory for me. Also if browsing to the servers IP from the Linux PCs no IBays are listed (smb://10.1.1.1/), whereas normally a list of all Ibays excepting the Users Home Dir would show. Not sure if this is by design in 10.1 or associated with my Home Dir issue. Any pointers please. Access to the original V10 server (which is fully patched to 10.1 via the updates) works fine from the same workstation / User.  Many thanks, Trevor 

Server is running as Server / Gateway in a single server small business network

Logged in Bug Reports
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 11:17:04 PM by trevorh »

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
everything wrong with backup/restore should be filed as a (potential) bug, thank you