Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

IMAP/POP3 duplicate or more instance of email received

Offline GadoF

• +0/-0
IMAP/POP3 duplicate or more instance of email received
« on: May 02, 2023, 09:41:14 AM »
hi,

Is there a patch  to solve the issue in imap and pop3  , my uses are receiving duplicate email.

Offline brianr

• +2/-0
Re: IMAP/POP3 duplicate or more instance of email received
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2023, 10:04:16 AM »
I think we need a lot more informatin than that!

pop3 or imap?
Email client (does it show the same in horde?)
SME Version and update status
Description of actually what is duplicated? (perhaps a screen capture?)
Brian j Read
(retired, for a second time, still got 2 installations though)
The instrument I am playing is my favourite Melodeon.

Offline ReetP

• +5/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2023, 03:56:29 PM »
Is there a patch  to solve the issue in imap and pop3  , my uses are receiving duplicate email.

There is no bug, or subsequent patch that we are aware of.

I think you should

1. Review your previous questions
2. Consider carefully everything you have been doing to date and make sure you completely understand it
3. Carefully and accurately describe your problem, not your attempts at a solution

This is likely to be where you are at currently.

https://xyproblem.info/

1. Read the Manual
2. Read the Wiki
3. Don't ask for support on Unsupported versions of software
4. I have a job, wife, and kids and do this in my spare time. If you want something fixed, please help.

Bugs are easier than you think: http://wiki.contribs.org/Bugzilla_Help

If you love SME and don't want to lose it, join in: http://wiki.contribs.org/Koozali_Foundation

Offline GadoF

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2023, 11:49:20 PM »
I am using both configurations to isolate the duplicate email received by users:

try to pop3, the user received a duplicated email, try to use imap still the same they received the duplicate email. The issue is not an isolated case as this happen to 50% of my users.

I think we need a lot more information than that!

pop3 or imap?
Email client (does it show the same in horde?)
SME Version and update status
Description of actually what is duplicated? (perhaps a screen capture?)

Offline sages

• +0/-0
    • http://www.sages.com.au
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2023, 02:06:57 AM »
Observation. It would appear that you are either the first person to report this problem or your system is set up differently to other users.
As, so far, no one else has reported this issue it would suggest that there isn't a known solution.
Leading us down the path of knowledge about this issue is something that others may have to discover/learn/research.
As you are the one with the issue and are requesting assistance from unpaid volunteers who have suggested that providing further information may help them to help you, is there, perhaps, a clue in the responses you have received so far?
The quality of the assistance you may receive depends upon the quality of the information and assistance that you, with the problem, provide to those without the problem.
Unfortunately not many volunteers get great joy in trying to extract clues from people with system issues.
Your results may vary. QED

Offline GadoF

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2023, 02:22:17 AM »
The system is set up on default with no spam filter nor RBL and SBL this is due to I have an external mail filter.  Also users are retrieving email via  IMAP/POP3 both are SSL with outgoing  SSL 455 port.

Users are using Outlook 2010 for most of it. I have no issue with regard to LAN connectivity. I am currently looking at the office version that could be the culprit for this duplicate email I am encountering.

Doing a test now with Outlook 2016 running parallel with the users using 2010 to see if  the higher versions of office has  no  duplicate email

**just to add on this I tried to check webmail I see double email also. So I think its a bug in the system.

Observation. It would appear that you are either the first person to report this problem or your system is set up differently to other users.
As, so far, no one else has reported this issue it would suggest that there isn't a known solution.
Leading us down the path of knowledge about this issue is something that others may have to discover/learn/research.
As you are the one with the issue and are requesting assistance from unpaid volunteers who have suggested that providing further information may help them to help you, is there, perhaps, a clue in the responses you have received so far?
The quality of the assistance you may receive depends upon the quality of the information and assistance that you, with the problem, provide to those without the problem.
Unfortunately not many volunteers get great joy in trying to extract clues from people with system issues.
Your results may vary. QED
« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 02:51:13 AM by GadoF »

Offline ReetP

• +5/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2023, 05:20:54 PM »
OK, before I make any comments let's list your other posts first.

Mail filter External 
https://forums.koozali.org/index.php/topic,54977.msg289484.html#msg289484
"how I can forward all outbound email traffic to a set of public IPs/subnets which is my email filter external"

mxbackup contrib on sme 10/Multiple domains in One sever
https://forums.koozali.org/index.php/topic,54979.msg289491.html#msg289491
" found in contribs mxbackup is this being supported in the current version of koozali ?" (built but no real testing and probably not working correctly)

Outlook issue when receiving the email with picture attachements
https://forums.koozali.org/index.php/topic,54984.msg289527.html#msg289527
" does anyone enconter issue when the client recieve the email from smtp server the image is not displayed correctly this includes excel files.."

windows 7 client not able to authenticate via pop3 and smtp
https://forums.koozali.org/index.php/topic,54985.msg289528.html#msg289528
"do we have work around for  windows 7 client not able to authenticate or pop3 and smtp"
(Do not ask for support with unsupported versions of software - which I think will almost certainly apply here)

You really are thrashing around trying to make your unsupported old software work rather than doing the right thing and upgrading properly.

You are running:

Win7 - unsupported
Outlook 2010 - unsupported as of Oct 2015 unless you have extended support to 2020
Outlook 2016 - unsupported as of Oct 2020 unless you have extended support to 2025

The system is set up on default with no spam filter nor RBL and SBL this is due to I have an external mail filter.

Default - I somehow doubt that bearing mind the above.

How is the mail passed to/retrieved from the external filter service?

What are your domains so we can check DNS?

Also users are retrieving email via  IMAP/POP3 both are SSL with outgoing  SSL 455 port.

Retrieving from your server, the filter server?

Why POP when you have IMAP? How is the POP set up?

Any other forwarding on the server? Forwarding to groups?

Users are using Outlook 2010 for most of it. I have no issue with regard to LAN connectivity. I am currently looking at the office version that could be the culprit for this duplicate email I am encountering.

Doing a test now with Outlook 2016 running parallel with the users using 2010 to see if  the higher versions of office has  no  duplicate email

See above about unsupported systems

**just to add on this I tried to check webmail I see double email also. So I think its a bug in the system.

So I think it is highly likely it is a problem of your own making.

So stop guessing, start reading the wiki too understand how your server and its services work and how to debug things, and start providing us with some details on your server. You ought to take a look in your logs and see they are telling you.

You have to remember that we are not sitting in front of your server or clients so you need to describe accurately what you observe and furnish us with full details. Otherwise we are guessing as much as you are.

Either do:

Code: [Select]
/sbin/e-smith/audittools/newrpms
/sbin/e-smith/audittools/repositories
/sbin/e-smith/audittools/templates

Or go to server-manager, Miscellaneous, Report a bug, Create Configuration report

And then do:

db configuration show
Remove anything sensitive like passwords and public IPs.

You might want to put this on somewhere like pastebin as it will likely be long.

If you want people here to help you then you need to start helping them.

1. Read the Manual
2. Read the Wiki
4. I have a job, wife, and kids and do this in my spare time. If you want something fixed, please help.

If you love SME and don't want to lose it, join in: http://wiki.contribs.org/Koozali_Foundation

Offline ReetP

• +5/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2023, 10:18:45 PM »
BTW read this 'generically', particularly referencing "How to report bugs effectively"

https://gist.github.com/reetp/a66149d5f060f260643a353ca7067a98

I really ought to do a Koozali specific version. Time......
1. Read the Manual
2. Read the Wiki

Offline GadoF

• +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2023, 01:02:51 AM »
First, if I am not trying to thrash talk sme and I will not use it I've been using sme mail system since sme 5.0. All the ones that I have posted some of them are already working which I said in the post works and I think you don't approve that if have found a solution to a windows 7  station supporting the ssl cert.

Second before I post do some test, I am posting if someone has  experienced what i am currently experiencing now and hopefully they can shed light.If you dont want to help dont invade my post, easy as that.

and why  POP and IMAP i am trying to isolate an issue here on duplicate email. I belong to a third world country and If I have a  budget I will not use sme i will use ofc365 and will not worry anything Do you understand. SME is built  for free again if you dont want to help dont invade my post let others help me.

OK, before I make any comments let's list your other posts first.

Mail filter External 
https://forums.koozali.org/index.php/topic,54977.msg289484.html#msg289484
"how I can forward all outbound email traffic to a set of public IPs/subnets which is my email filter external"

mxbackup contrib on sme 10/Multiple domains in One sever
https://forums.koozali.org/index.php/topic,54979.msg289491.html#msg289491
" found in contribs mxbackup is this being supported in the current version of koozali ?" (built but no real testing and probably not working correctly)

Outlook issue when receiving the email with picture attachements
https://forums.koozali.org/index.php/topic,54984.msg289527.html#msg289527
" does anyone enconter issue when the client recieve the email from smtp server the image is not displayed correctly this includes excel files.."

windows 7 client not able to authenticate via pop3 and smtp
https://forums.koozali.org/index.php/topic,54985.msg289528.html#msg289528
"do we have work around for  windows 7 client not able to authenticate or pop3 and smtp"
(Do not ask for support with unsupported versions of software - which I think will almost certainly apply here)

You really are thrashing around trying to make your unsupported old software work rather than doing the right thing and upgrading properly.

You are running:

Win7 - unsupported
Outlook 2010 - unsupported as of Oct 2015 unless you have extended support to 2020
Outlook 2016 - unsupported as of Oct 2020 unless you have extended support to 2025

Default - I somehow doubt that bearing mind the above.

How is the mail passed to/retrieved from the external filter service?

What are your domains so we can check DNS?

Retrieving from your server, the filter server?

Why POP when you have IMAP? How is the POP set up?

Any other forwarding on the server? Forwarding to groups?

See above about unsupported systems

So I think it is highly likely it is a problem of your own making.

So stop guessing, start reading the wiki too understand how your server and its services work and how to debug things, and start providing us with some details on your server. You ought to take a look in your logs and see they are telling you.

You have to remember that we are not sitting in front of your server or clients so you need to describe accurately what you observe and furnish us with full details. Otherwise we are guessing as much as you are.

Either do:

/sbin/e-smith/audittools/newrpms
/sbin/e-smith/audittools/repositories
/sbin/e-smith/audittools/templates

Or go to server-manager, Miscellaneous, Report a bug, Create Configuration report

And then do:

db configuration show
Remove anything sensitive like passwords and public IPs.

You might want to put this on somewhere like pastebin as it will likely be long.

If you want people here to help you then you need to start helping them.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 01:05:01 AM by GadoF »

Offline JohnG

• +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2023, 01:47:36 AM »
Sounds like it might be a typical synchronization issue between the Outlook clients and the mail/filter server. Are the Outlook clients always in communication with the mail server/filter or do they disconnect periodically?

Offline GadoF

• +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2023, 02:59:14 AM »
the client is receiving the email from sme, filters are defined under the Address of the Internet provider's mail server. Is this the correct config all outgoing mail of my server will be fall under my mail filter?

Sounds like it might be a typical synchronization issue between the Outlook clients and the mail/filter server. Are the Outlook clients always in communication with the mail server/filter or do they disconnect periodically?

Offline JohnG

• +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2023, 04:04:00 AM »
I don't know. I was asking a specific question: Are your Outlook clients always able to synchronize with the mail server or do they periodically disconnect and synchronize once the connection returns?

Offline GadoF

• +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2023, 05:11:47 AM »
they dont have this issue, clients is sitting in  a stable LAN networks

I don't know. I was asking a specific question: Are your Outlook clients always able to synchronize with the mail server or do they periodically disconnect and synchronize once the connection returns?

Offline ReetP

• +5/-0
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2023, 03:35:56 PM »
I belong to a third world country and If I have a  budget I will not use sme i will use ofc365 and will not worry anything Do you understand. SME is built  for free again if you dont want to help dont invade my post let others help me.

It doesn't really matter where you live.

Luckily for you Koozali SME is open source. It is free to download and use because equally luckily for you, along with several others, I give my time for free to help build Koozali SME. If there is a bug then I am one of the few people who may try and fix it for you.

The irony is that you are probably using SME to earn money, but probably make no donations to help us to maintain all the infrastructure you depend on.........

So the very least you can do is provide information to the questions asked so we can try and understand the problem and try and get it fixed. Which, luckily for you, we will do for free.

But to do that please help us by posting the output of the questions and commands I requested previously.

If we cannot understand and repeat your issue then we can't really fix it.

Also:

What version is your server?
Has the server been updated or upgraded?
Has it been modified?
Exactly how is mail handled?

We really need to understand these things so please read the links on how to report issues effectively, and go and document the items as we have asked. It will save us all a lot of time.
1. Read the Manual
2. Read the Wiki

Offline GadoF

• +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2023, 09:59:14 PM »
Lonely dude,  first you accused me of thrash-talking SME and now you accused me of earning money and not making donations. Some serious allegations you have over me. Did I do something bad to you?

I don't know what's got into you. I really don't need your help let others reply.  If you are one of the maintainers here you should check yourself first there is so much hate running in your blood.

if I am using another version I will probably post on another version this issue, you got that.

STOP THE HATE

It doesn't really matter where you live.

Luckily for you Koozali SME is open source. It is free to download and use because equally luckily for you, along with several others, I give my time for free to help build Koozali SME. If there is a bug then I am one of the few people who may try and fix it for you.

The irony is that you are probably using SME to earn money, but probably make no donations to help us to maintain all the infrastructure you depend on.........

So the very least you can do is provide information to the questions asked so we can try and understand the problem and try and get it fixed. Which, luckily for you, we will do for free.

But to do that please help us by posting the output of the questions and commands I requested previously.

If we cannot understand and repeat your issue then we can't really fix it.

Also:

What version is your server?
Has the server been updated or upgraded?
Has it been modified?
Exactly how is mail handled?

We really need to understand these things so please read the links on how to report issues effectively, and go and document the items as we have asked. It will save us all a lot of time.

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2023, 12:48:36 AM »
STOP THE HATE

Without knowing your servers mode, update status, contribs, custom setups, system config, no-one can answer with any degree of certainty and thats because what you are seeing is not what most are experincing. The answers to the questions help to triage whats happening
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline JohnG

• +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2023, 01:36:59 AM »
Without knowing your servers mode, update status, contribs, custom setups, system config, no-one can answer with any degree of certainty and thats because what you are seeing is not what most are experincing. The answers to the questions help to triage whats happening

Totally agree, way too many unknowns, especially with the external mail filter, as well as the OPs apparent rudeness and roundabout way of asking questions, and attacking those that are trying to help, but that might be a cultural and/or language issue.

Anyway, back to the original duplicates problem; my advice is to create a new email account and only access it using webmail (no outlook, thunderbird, etc). Test this account thoroughly using webmail only. See if the duplicates show up again in webmail. If no duplicates then this shows that the mail server and filter aren't causing the issues.

I'm still guessing it's an IMAP synchronization quirk, but it's hard to be sure with the lack of info.

Offline ReetP

• +5/-0
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2023, 02:20:39 AM »
Without knowing your servers mode, update status, contribs, custom setups, system config, no-one can answer with any degree of certainty and thats because what you are seeing is not what most are experiencing. The answers to the questions help to triage whats happening

Indeed.

The OP seems intent on wasting time rather than providing the required information, likely because they have been hacking around wildly and have made mess of their machine and do not want to reveal that to others.

Like I said right at the start. A classic XY Problem.

You can't help someone who is not prepared to help themselves, or who will not provide proper debugging information.

They don't even understand that I am happy to try and and help, but can do nothing unless they provide the requested information.

I give up. I have broken ipsecs to fix.

<sigh>
1. Read the Manual
2. Read the Wiki