Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Got a weird one

Offline louhaven

• +0/-0
Got a weird one
« on: September 04, 2023, 12:59:12 PM »
Hello,

Let me explain the subject.

My mate used to use sme server/kozali to connect to the internet via adsl. Its an old connection, and it was slow, but hey, it worked. Well now, adsl is kaput. In the short term, he has an optus usb stick, plugged into his computer, and that gets him connected to the internet. I've been trying to work out if I can use an adaptor ( say Tp-link ac750 wifi travel router) in bridge mode (no wifi at all) to connect the ethernet from the gateway, to it and it to the optus stick, which is on as soon as its plugged in, I've tried the travel router in all of its modes, set the gateway to 'send client identifier' with no 'client identifier' and for the life of me its not working. I know this is not really what the gateway was designed to do.but if I can get the gateway to accept the wireless connection as the new internet connection, then 'all' the devices on the local network can connect to the internet (via the gateway, like it was with adsl), all at once doing their updates, et al.
or, is there a way to tell the gateway to accept the 'optus' "always on" usb stick as the new 'internet', by plugging it into one of the usb ports.

Any advice on these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Louis
----
Regards,

Louis

Online ReetP

• +5/-0
Re: Got a weird one
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2023, 01:37:27 PM »
I think the two devices are incapable of working like that. The TP Link is designed to connect to another wifi router upstream.

You really need a device that combines the USB stick and router.

So essentially a SIM card router with Wifi hotspot.

Does it need to be portable?

If not there are plenty of solutions about.

eg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08TK7BPRJ

I am not sure about bridging on there - your server needs to know how to make a SIM type connection and that might be tricky. However, it would have a network port you can use. You would be double or even triple natted - there is probably CGNAT upstream - but you can probably get to the interwebs OK.

If you need portable then I am not sure if there any like the MiFi that have a network port as well - possible wireless only.

Something like the MiFi devices may do it - just needs a wifi connection on SME............

Give us a bit more data and we may be able to give a little more assistance.
1. Read the Manual
2. Read the Wiki
3. Don't ask for support on Unsupported versions of software
4. I have a job, wife, and kids and do this in my spare time. If you want something fixed, please help.

Bugs are easier than you think: http://wiki.contribs.org/Bugzilla_Help

If you love SME and don't want to lose it, join in: http://wiki.contribs.org/Koozali_Foundation

Offline Jean-Philippe Pialasse

• +11/-0
  • aka Unnilennium
    • http://smeserver.pialasse.com
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2023, 02:51:38 PM »
while sme has not been designed yet to use a cell connexion a lot of linux do.
check how your optus usb stick can be used on a centos.

Offline louhaven

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2023, 01:57:27 AM »
Please accept my apologies for not getting back sooner. I have been unwell.

I think the two devices are incapable of working like that. The TP Link is designed to connect to another wifi router upstream.

This is one of its options, yes.

You really need a device that combines the USB stick and router.

So essentially a SIM card router with Wifi hotspot.

Does it need to be portable?

Portable - no, there is power nearby. 240volts tho. I'm in Australia. Out in the 'bush' not a capital city. This 'site' was one of only 2 that were fully fibre'ed My mate is 20kms beyond where I live.

I was looking at a Netcomm NL19Mesh which has a sim card slot to be used as an adsl 'fallback' and since my friends adsl is kaput, it seems like the way to go?

If not there are plenty of solutions about.

eg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08TK7BPRJ

I am not sure about bridging on there - your server needs to know how to make a SIM type connection and that might be tricky. However, it would have a network port you can use. You would be double or even triple natted - there is probably CGNAT upstream - but you can probably get to the interwebs OK.

The usb dongle-thingy connects automatically once power is applied. There is no need for login info, its all automatic.

My mates location, some 20 kms out of a local town makes a fibre connection prohibitively expensive, at around 4 bucks a metre... just for the cable.

If you need portable then I am not sure if there any like the MiFi that have a network port as well - possible wireless only.

Something like the MiFi devices may do it - just needs a wifi connection on SME............

Give us a bit more data and we may be able to give a little more assistance.

Does this help? what other info are you after?
----
Regards,

Louis