Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

user group names

Offline robf355

• +0/-0
user group names
« on: April 02, 2024, 04:08:34 PM »
Hi

I'm using sme 10, for webhosting, mail and windows fileshares. I have four users setup on the system, all works ok, I have a question about the groups, for windows shares.
Files created using windows for user 'A' have a owner of user 'A' and group as user 'A', same for other users, but some files seem to have become owned by admin but have the correct username.
Does it matter that the group is <username> or admin?
All files irrespective of the group have the attributes '-rwxrwx---+'

Regards
Rob Carter

Offline Jean-Philippe Pialasse

• +11/-0
  • aka Unnilennium
    • http://smeserver.pialasse.com
Re: user group names
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2024, 01:54:24 AM »
it could matter or it may not.

all depends on how are your needs.

have you check the group owning the ibay and associated perms?

if all what matters for you is having user 1 able to modify his files then the group does not matter. If you want some other user being able to modify this same file then a shared group with write acces will matter

Offline robf355

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2024, 01:27:30 PM »
Thank you for the reply, the ibays are only edited by myself, the shared folders have read/write for some users and read only for others.
What confused me was why each user had their own group, I presume this is to allow a user to allow other users to access their files/folders?
Each user is listed in the groups file, but they aren't listed under "Create, modify, or remove user groups" Should they be?

Offline Jean-Philippe Pialasse

• +11/-0
  • aka Unnilennium
    • http://smeserver.pialasse.com
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2024, 06:36:08 PM »
groupe username is for this user only access. 

if you want a shared access then use another group where both users are member of.

an exception could be the admin group which could be considered as a generik admin group even if same name as admin user.