Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Error joining domain Win10Pro to Smeserver 10.1 ("DNS name does not exist" )

Offline ldkeen

• +0/-0
Hi,
I'm having trouble joining several machines to my domain, something I've done many times in the past without too many problems. The complete error message is below:

Code: [Select]
Note: This information is intended for a network administrator. If you are not your network's administrator, notify the administrator that you received this information, which has been recorded in the file C:\Windows\debug\dcdiag.txt.

The domain name "cct" might be a NetBIOS domain name.  If this is the case, verify that the domain name is properly registered with WINS.

If you are certain that the name is not a NetBIOS domain name, then the following information can help you troubleshoot your DNS configuration.

The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate an Active Directory Domain Controller (AD DC) for domain "cct":

The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
(error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.cct

Common causes of this error include the following:

- The DNS SRV records required to locate a AD DC for the domain are not registered in DNS. These records are registered with a DNS server automatically when a AD DC is added to a domain. They are updated by the AD DC at set intervals. This computer is configured to use DNS servers with the following IP addresses:

- One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its child zone:

cct
. (the root zone)

I have searched the forums and bugs and found several articles but none which help my situation in any way. I have applied the win10samba.reg patch and checked all settings after rebooting. Below is the server smb db settings:

[root@server ~]# db configuration show smb
smb=service
    DeadTime=10080
    InitscriptOrder=91
    KeepVersions=disabled
    OpLocks=enabled
    OsLevel=35
    RecycleBin=disabled
    RoamingProfiles=no
    ServerMinProtocol=SMB1
    ServerName=server
    ServerRole=PDC
    ShadowCount=10
    ShadowDir=/home/e-smith/files/.shadow
    UnixCharSet=ISO8859-1
    UseClientDriver=yes
    Workgroup=cct
    status=enabled
And also my versions of Samba:

e-smith-samba-2.6.0-27.el7.sme.noarch
samba-common-libs-4.10.16-25.el7_9.x86_64
samba-common-4.10.16-25.el7_9.noarch
samba-libs-4.10.16-25.el7_9.x86_64
samba-common-tools-4.10.16-25.el7_9.x86_64
samba-client-4.10.16-25.el7_9.x86_64
samba-4.10.16-25.el7_9.x86_64
samba-client-libs-4.10.16-25.el7_9.x86_64

The server and workstation are both fully updated. Anyone have any suggestions on what I could try to resolve this?
Many thanks in advance - Lloyd

Offline ldkeen

• +0/-0
My bad - I had disabled NMBD whilst trying to tighten security on the server:
config setprop nmbd status enabled
systemctl start nmbdHas now fixed my problem

Offline bunkobugsy

• +4/-0
get rid of ServerMinProtocol=SMB1 and restart samba