Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Upcoming features...

Sam Freiberg

Upcoming features...
« on: September 13, 1999, 06:33:58 AM »
Just wanted to say that E-Smith is a great product. You guys have done a great job. I work as a computer consultant and I plan on recommending it to customers, but there are a couple of things I was wondering if there were any plans for in the future. The biggest one is the ability to dial in so I could remotely administer the system through a dial up line. Also is there anything along the way of a common intranet? I am in the process of writing a web based application to allow users to clock in/clock out from a browser and if there is going to be a common look and feel I would like to follow it from the beginning.

Sam

Kim Morrison

Remote Administration
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 1999, 09:12:08 PM »
Hi Sam,

For remote administration, we actually recommend using SSH and coming in over the internet.   (We have more info on installing SSH in our FAQ.)

If you have a dial up connection, you can ping the server, and when the server automatically connects to fetch email, the ping will keep the server up while you SSH in.  

Kim

Kim Morrison

Intranet
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 1999, 09:17:12 PM »
Hi Sam,

Response #2 - "is there anything along the way of a common intranet?"

Actually, thanks for asking!  

Our ibays are a perfect way to create an intranet.  An ibay is a user-defined space on the e-smith hard drive. The Administrator can define access / passwording rules per ibay.  When an ibay is created, a directory is created which contains three folders associated with that ibay: a "files" directory (useful if the ibay is to be a file sharing or FTP site), a html directory and a cgi-scripts directory.  If you visit an ibay using a web browser by visiting the URL:

http://www.yourdomain.xxx/ibayname

the contents of the html directory are automatically displayed.  Perfect for an intranet, no?

Kim

Kim Morrison

Application
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 1999, 09:19:56 PM »
Sam,

Finally, if you are licensing your web-based application as open source, we'd be happy to feature it on our web site.  

We'd like to start a section of our web page for e-smith compatible open source applications.

Regards,

Kim