Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Squid problems with SME 5.6

RayG

Squid problems with SME 5.6
« on: September 25, 2003, 03:41:52 AM »
I upgraded to SME 5.6 this weekend and applied update 5. I had lots of problems so I wiped the hard drive and installed a fresh copy of SME 5.6, then immediatly applied update 5. Later in the day I installed snort and acid and ran into problems with snort being unappy with it's rules. I also noticed squid was dropping out somewhere along the way. So I removed the broken snort install and a few hours later, squid died again.

So last night I wiped the hard drive again and did a fresh SME 5.6 install and applied update 5. The modifications from a stock install are:

Half dozen user accounts
Two iBays
Netjuke b17 installed in 1 of the iBays with about 25 gig of music
Custom template for 50localaddresses for more personal identd user names based on local ip
Added libipt_length.so to add packet length matching options to iptables
Custom template for 40AllowICMPIn to drop 92 byte icmp echo requests (NACHI worm)
New custom template for 47BlockAddresses to drop traffic from a handfull of problem ip's

After some ammount of time running, I cannot access any external web pages. I still have connectivity to irc and usenet news. When I restart squid, I get a line that stopping it failed and the next line says starting it was successfull. At that point, web access works untill squid dies again. The messages log shows occasional signal 4 and signal 6 error messages for squid but the times don't really match when web access fails. The squid logs don't show anything unusual.

Any ideas about what the problem might be ? Any clues on how to debug ? What's the latest version of squid I can upgrade to with SME 5.6 ?

Steve Brock

Re: Squid problems with SME 5.6
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2003, 01:31:20 AM »
try killing your squid then logging in to the console and running squid directly with the -N switch added so it doesn't go background and you (hopefully) can see the error it produces.

Doug M.

Re: Squid problems with SME 5.6
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2003, 06:06:34 AM »
I cannot help with your problem beyond suggesting the same as the previous response. I was wondering if you could tell me where those templates go and possibly post an example of the template formats.