Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Can't get e-smith.yourdomain.xxx to work right

David Bakody

Can't get e-smith.yourdomain.xxx to work right
« on: August 25, 2000, 10:17:36 PM »
I'm having a problem that I just don't get.  I've set up several e-smith servers without incident (man, is this thing a breeze - what a wonderful package)...

I put e-smith on an old HP7020 75 mhz Pentium computer with 1.2gb HD.  It works great as a gateway and inhouse fileserver, but I can't seem to manage it via http unless I use something like...

http://192.168.1.1/e-smith-manager

rather than...

http://www.e-smith.bakody.com/e-smith-manager

This is the only server that I've had a problem with.  I'm not doing anything custom.  Everything is setup default.  Any ideas?

Thanks - DB

David Bakody

RE: Can't get e-smith.yourdomain.xxx to work right
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2000, 10:27:13 PM »
Never mind.  I figured it out.  It had to do with my DNS settings.

Sorry.

Marco Müller

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2000, 02:05:09 PM »
I have the same problem could you say me how you managed the problem?

Thx

Marco

David Bakody

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2000, 09:22:14 PM »
There seem to be two ways to go on this.  The simplest is to use DHCP and have e-smith assign your IP and DNS dynamically to the client machines.  That worked fine for me at home, since my wireless service provider prefers that clients get their IP and DNS information using DHCP, so my whole system at home - from the server to the client machines, are configured via DHCP.  There wasn't a whole lot to configure beyond plugging in and turning on.  Under this setup, I never had a problem.

If you have your e-smith clients use DHCP, that is one way (I think) to solve the problem.

At the office, we use DSL on a static IP.  This is where I had the problem.  So...

I configured the e-smith server/gateway with the assigned IP, DNS addresses, etc, but for reasons that have to do with our firewalling, the client systems could not be configured via DHCP from the e-smith server.  I assigned each client machine a static local IP like 192.168.1.70, 192.168.1.71, and so on, and for primary and secondary DNS I used the DNS IP's given to me by our DSL service provider.  This worked fine for internet access, but e-smith couldn't resolve xxx.xxxx.mycompany.com/e-smith-manager.  

To fix this, I made the local address of our e-smith server (192.168.1.1) the primary DNS address, and the DNS addresses given by our service provider as secondary and tertiary (?) addresses.

... or to put it more simply...

Make sure that you include the local IP address of your e-smith server in your list of DNS servers.  It seems to work best when the e-smith server is made the primary DNS, with whatever other DNS servers you are using following as alternates.

Hope this helps.

Charlie Brady

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2000, 09:36:58 PM »
David Bakody wrote:

>This worked fine for internet access, but e-smith couldn't
>  resolve xxx.xxxx.mycompany.com/e-smith-manager.

The problem is not that e-smith can't resolve that address, but your client machine cannot resolve that address, because it isn't using the e-smith server as its name server.

>Make sure that you include the local IP address of your e-smith server > in your list of DNS servers. It seems to work best when the e-smith
> server is made  the primary DNS, with whatever other DNS servers you
> are using following as alternates.

You will get best results if you set the IP address of the e-smith server as the only DNS server for the clients. This will ensure that it can always resolve the local network addresses (including the address of the server itself), and also makes use of the caching nameserver operating on your e-smith box.

Regards

Charlie