Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

email with dynamic dns and other gateway

Kevin Lim

email with dynamic dns and other gateway
« on: August 30, 2000, 10:23:13 PM »
i have a wierd setup, so i guess this is my fault, but maybe somebody has an idea

my e-smith 4.0 box is behind a coyotelinux gateway/firewall to dsl (bellsouth using PPPoE).  bellsouth only offers dynamic ip, so i have to use dynamic dns service to attach my domain name.  this works ok for the web, ftp servers, but email isn't quite right.

my regular domain is mydomain.com, the dynamic dns is xxx.yi.org, which then points to mydomain.com

if i setup an email client on another isp, i can connect (IMAP) to xxx.yi.org and get email, but if i try to send email from this client i get error:

The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was 'klim@other.com'. Subject 'test', Account: 'xxx', Server: 'xxx.yi.org', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1)', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 553, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

also if i try to setup the client using mydomain.com (which is what i expected to work) it can't connect to the email server.

i read something about the rcpthosts file in FAQ on qmail, but i am not sure what i need to add and i don't know if i have the right rcpthosts because of the template system with e-smith, i thought if i added (mydomain.com is already in this file) xxx.yi.org to this file it might fix it.

also i can send email to this client with name@mydomain.com and it shows up in the IMAP folder fine, but if I send email to name@xxx.yi.org, it disappears ( i think it will bounce eventually)

so does this error mean qmail thinks it is protecting itself from an unauthorized sender (spam)??  maybe i dont' know enough yet about linux.

thanks and i like this software, it is a great example of what can be done with open source.  bring the power of linux to the dumb asses, oops i mean dumb masses :)

Charlie Brady

RE: email with dynamic dns and other gateway
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2000, 10:46:35 PM »
Kevin Lim wrote:

> my e-smith 4.0 box is behind a coyotelinux gateway/firewall to
> dsl (bellsouth using PPPoE).

This is certainly an unusual configuration. I'm curious to know why you are using Coyote rather than running the e-smith server in server/gateway mode (now that PPPoE support is available for e-smith, that is).

> if i setup an email client on another isp, i can connect (IMAP)
> to xxx.yi.org and get email, but if i try to send email from
> this client i get error:
>
> The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was
> rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was
> 'klim@other.com'. Subject 'test', Account: 'xxx', Server:
> 'xxx.yi.org', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '553 sorry, that
> domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1)', Port:
> 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 553, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

The e-smith server will only accept mail relaying from clients connected to its local network. It will only accept mail from internet hosts which is to be delivered to local users. Otherwise it could be used for spam relaying.

You should configure your email client on the other isp to use the isp's smtp server.

regards

Charlie

Kevin Lim

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2000, 11:02:38 PM »
thanks, that makes sense.  i can use the e-smith smtp to send to internal e-smith email addresses, but not the internet in general

this will still work for my setup.  the e-smith email server is for a workgroup in my company that will connect with free ISP service (like bluelight or netzero).  they will be able to send business email to others within the group through my e-smith smtp, but will have to use the ISP smtp to send to the internet.

ooh, what about the feature that allows email forwarding ?  if i set up each account to keep a copy on e-smith and send a copy to xyz@zyx.com, doesn't this sort of give me a controlled relay to my known (the box e-smith is forwarding to) other email addresses?

thanks again

Kevin Lim

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2000, 10:10:15 PM »
i am going to switch my e-smith to my gateway using the beta PPPoE RPM.

since e-smith already supports yi.org dynamic dns, it should work and i am out of time messing with my other "wierd" setup

Kevin Lim

fixed
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2000, 01:38:48 AM »
i got rid of my coyotelinux gateway box and plugged the dsl modem directly into my e-smith box, used the PPPoE RPM and everything is working fine.

i spent an hour looking for more detailed instructions on installing the rpm and getting it working and finally decided to just try it.  turns out, it really is as simple as rpm -i file.name just like charlie said

this it tooo cool, thanks!
you da man, charlie!