Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

2 x hard Drives

Graeme Knox

2 x hard Drives
« on: December 16, 2000, 04:24:45 AM »
I have 2 x HDD drives in my system. 1 IDE which is the boot drive and the other the other is a  SCSI.
How can I find out if the SCSI drive is being used by e-smith as when I add data to the information bay that has been setup, there is not as much space available as I would have assumed to be there.
I am not a Linux person so I have not sure of commands to check and also also to get it mounted (if not allready so) so that the space can be used.
Your help would be appreciated ..

Thanks

Sasha Malic

RE: 2 x hard Drives
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2000, 09:01:01 AM »
The drive is not being used unless you mount it first.

I normally create an i-bay and then mount a drive with the mount point being the
i-bay root. This allows you to control access to the drive through the web manager.
The downside is that the entire drive is allocated to one i-bay.

You need to know what the drive is called first before you can create a mount point.

This is an example of the line I use in my /etc/fstab file to mount a second IDE HDD

dev/hdc1  /home/e-smith/files/ibays/disk2/files  ext2  defaults  0  2

There is quite a bit of help available on the Internet under the Linux documentation project, with regard to mount points, drive types and naming conventions.

Regards
Sasha

Scott Duncan

RE: 2 x hard Drives
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2000, 10:52:03 PM »
The Quick and Painless way is to get Redhat 6.x ot 7.x and do a base install and upgrade with e-smith.

Just do a bare-minimum base install with Redhat.

Note, you can also add useful tools at this point without the e-smith upgrade impacting it. Midnight Commander (mc) comes to mind here. If you want to add MC to the new beta you need the GPM tools installed off the Redhat 7 CD, then install MC. The Upgrade path saves this trouble ....and you get to use all your drives :)

Damien Curtain

Re: 2 x hard Drives
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2000, 01:30:39 AM »
Graeme Knox wrote:
>
> I have 2 x HDD drives in my system. 1 IDE which is the boot
> drive and the other the other is a  SCSI.
> How can I find out if the SCSI drive is being used by e-smith
> as when I add data to the information bay that has been
> setup, there is not as much space available as I would have
> assumed to be there.

look in /etc/fstab, your ide hard drive will be prefaced with hd
and your scsci drive with sd.

> I am not a Linux person so I have not sure of commands to
> check and also also to get it mounted (if not allready so) so
> that the space can be used.

mount -t ext2 /dev/sda2 /mountpoint will mount it, assuming you put the right device after /dev. cat /proc/partitions will tell you what partitions are around.

To permanently mount the drive, stick in in /etc/fstab, have a look in that file for an example of what you need to put in it, and man fstab incase your not sure what each field means.

If, like alot of people have asked, your after one drive for esmith, and the other for i-bays etc, then your better of disabling the second drive when you install, thus ensuring anaconda leaves it alone, then enabling it after the process. Youll then need to fdisk it, its usually good to keep slices small, so dont allocate the whole drive to one partition.

eg
ALT-F2

login as toor
fdisk /dev/sdb
p (will print a list)
d (to nuke any there, be carefull you dont want whats on them)
n (to create a new one etc....)

w to save and write the label.

then, lets say you made sdb1 and sdb2
mke2fs (man mke2fs for some options) /dev/sd...
then you can mount those where you like

www.linuxdoc.org has good pointers on partitioning in linux, it can be a little daunting at 1st...

Regards
--
 Damien