Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

hostnames and browsers

Offline Mophilly

• +0/-0
    • Mophilly
hostnames and browsers
« on: March 23, 2006, 12:17:58 AM »
I have several hostnames set up. One was "ducks.mydomain.com" and mapped to xxx.xxx.xxx.10. This has worked for a good many months.

I have moved the services for "ducks" to a new machine at xxx.xxx.xxx.13. I then changed IP address in the hostnames admin panel for the "ducks" name.

The browsers still are hitting the old machine. Is there something I should or can do to update of the system(s) so the the "ducks" hostname resovles to the new IP address?
- Mark

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
Re: hostnames and browsers
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 10:23:35 PM »
Quote from: "Mophilly"
I have several hostnames set up. One was "ducks.mydomain.com" and mapped to xxx.xxx.xxx.10. This has worked for a good many months.

I have moved the services for "ducks" to a new machine at xxx.xxx.xxx.13. I then changed IP address in the hostnames admin panel for the "ducks" name.

The browsers still are hitting the old machine. Is there something I should or can do to update of the system(s) so the the "ducks" hostname resovles to the new IP address?

Is the old setting perhaps recorded in a local host file on the systems?
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline electroman00

• +0/-0
hostnames and browsers
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 10:28:40 PM »
I was going to say the same thing but you beat me to it.

Anyway

Try clearing the browser cache....also.

Offline Mophilly

• +0/-0
    • Mophilly
RE: hostnames and browsers
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 10:35:47 PM »
I believe it involves the DNS. I have enabled DNS on the server, restricted to local access.

Today, the domain name resolves correctly so one of the overnight processes appears to have taken care of the issue. I would like to know how to invoke this, if possible. As I get better with domans and SME and so on, I find I am needing more insight to causing the server to update things like DNS tables.

Ah, the life of a noob...
- Mark

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
Re: RE: hostnames and browsers
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 02:07:06 PM »
Quote from: "Mophilly"
I believe it involves the DNS. I have enabled DNS on the server, restricted to local access.

Today, the domain name resolves correctly so one of the overnight processes appears to have taken care of the issue. I would like to know how to invoke this, if possible. As I get better with domans and SME and so on, I find I am needing more insight to causing the server to update things like DNS tables.

Ah, the life of a noob...

I think this would be:
Code: [Select]
signal-event dns-update

But I do not understand why this action is not automatically done after the IP change per the server-manager as I guess you did.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline Mophilly

• +0/-0
    • Mophilly
Re: hostnames and browsers
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 06:32:28 PM »
Thanks, cactus. I will put that in my notes and give it a try.

And yes, I assumed it would update the DNS data upon saving the updated record. It didn't seem to work that way.
- Mark