Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

email problem

Offline Paperguides

• +0/-0
email problem
« on: April 20, 2006, 09:23:31 AM »
I seem to be losing email.  The following message is in the qmail log:

_fatal:_qq_write_error_or_disk_full_(#4.3.0)/

Which disk is 'full'?  How how I fix it?

Tony

nick

email problem
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 10:50:33 AM »
If you have multiple disks, you'll be running in raid, so it probably isn't a "disk problem". If it's a single disk machine, it could be a case of a failing disk, but hopefully that's not the case (do a backup to be safe).

Do you have quotas enabled for example? Or have you created a user by hand instead of through the server manager?

Have a look at the quotas anyways, it will tell you if a user has an excessive amount of files stored on the server..

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
email problem
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 04:52:38 PM »
Quote from: "nick"

Have a look at the quotas anyways, it will tell you if a user has an excessive amount of files stored on the server..

Quotas won't stop qmail-queue from creating a queue file - the qmailq user doesn't have a quota set. The message means what it says. The disk is full, or there are errors creating and writing files. The former is most likely.

> I seem to be losing email.

No, the mail should still be held elsewhere, and will be redelivered when you create room for it to be stored.

The "df" command will tell you about free disk space.

How to fix? Delete files. Not that the files will need to be not-in-use. If you delete files which are being used, e.g. some log files, then you won't create any free disk space.

nick

email problem
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 05:20:14 PM »
Quote from: "CharlieBrady"

Quotas won't stop qmail-queue from creating a queue file - the qmailq user doesn't have a quota set. The message means what it says. The disk is full, or there are errors creating and writing files. The former is most likely.

> I seem to be losing email.

No, the mail should still be held elsewhere, and will be redelivered when you create room for it to be stored.

The "df" command will tell you about free disk space.

How to fix? Delete files. Not that the files will need to be not-in-use. If you delete files which are being used, e.g. some log files, then you won't create any free disk space.

That's why I suggested the quota page, that way you can see who's filling up your disk.... :)

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
email problem
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 05:35:15 PM »

That's why I suggested the quota page, that way you can see who's filling up your disk.... :)

Only if it is a user. If it is squid, spamassassin, mail queue, log files, etc you won't see anything useful on the quota page. But yes, quota page for starters might help.

Offline Paperguides

• +0/-0
email problem
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006, 07:24:53 PM »
I've compressed a couple of the mailboxes, cleared out log files and the error message has gone away.  I'm still confused by what I need to do to prevent the return of the problem.

I ran df:

Welcome to SME Server 6.0.1-01
[root@rusty root]# df
Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda3              9249552   8336372    443328  95% /
/dev/hda1               102454     14052     83112  15% /boot
none                    127820         0    127820   0% /dev/shm

Any pointers welcome.

Tony