Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

PPTP & Win2k

Bob Jenner

PPTP & Win2k
« on: January 13, 2002, 04:06:15 AM »
I am trying to connect via PPTP from a Win2k client to SME5. I have put the number of PPTP clients to 5 in the manager, added remote (client side) net to the local networks and added the remote pc's address to local nets. What more needs to be done?

The SME box is now setup in server & gateway mode with a direct connection, a legal address and valid, resolvable domain name.

What am I doing wrong? or not doing?

Peter Walter

Re: PPTP & Win2k
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2002, 08:03:30 PM »
I assume that your W2k client is connecting via dial-up? Your question seems to imply that the W2k machine is on the same LAN.
Have you specified the same workgroup (or domain) for the SME Server and the W2k machine?, W2k has difficulty connecting across workgroups / domains.
Are you using a software firewall, like ZoneAlarm? If so, temporarily disable it and try again.

Bob Jenner

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2002, 08:13:57 PM »
No, the Win2k computer is at home, connection over cable modem. The SME box is at the office. Connection over DSL.

There is another computer at the office (also win2k) that I have successfully tested. Sorry for the confusion.

Tony P.

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2002, 08:27:13 PM »
Have you tried other operating systems from your home?
Some cable operators block port 1723 so you cant PPTP. Also if you are using a SOHO router make sure it is able to pass VPN packets.

When you say you connected from the office to verify that it works I am assuming that you connected from the internal network and not the external network. Perhaps there is something with the gateway configuration that you have to change. I have my SME in server mode only so I don't know what changes if any would have to be made.

Use a port scanner to check if port 1723 is open or try to telnet to port 1723 on the SME host from the W2K PC.
At the command prompt type "telnet smeserver 1723" (don't forget to replace smeserver with your servername.) if you get no response that means that your SME server is not setup to recieve PPTP packets or there is something on the network that is preventing port 1723 from working properly.
If you get a blank window with no response that means you have connected and port 1723 is working fine.