Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Hostnames: Local IP and Global IP

Offline Mophilly

• +0/-0
    • Mophilly
Hostnames: Local IP and Global IP
« on: May 11, 2006, 07:57:20 PM »
In the manual, in the Hostnames section, it says that to have a server behind SME be available inside and outside the LAN, that the server needs two ethernet cards. One will be assigned an internal IP address (Local) and the other an external IP (Global).

In my network the SME 6.0.1 server is running in server only mode. SME and the second server are connected to a router and the router is the bridge to the Internet. All machines are assigned static IP addresses, including the public Internet IP for the router.

SME handles DNS for the LAN, and it hosts the primary domain as well as a number of virtual domains (ibays). The alternate server is assigned a unique hostname, "ducks.mydomain.com". I assigned a valid LAN IP address to Local IP and the "ducks" server can be found easily from within the LAN.

I have not been able to enable access to "ducks" from the Internet using the URL "ducks.mydomain.com".

I set Global IP to the public IP assigned to the router without success. I set the Global IP to a valid LAN IP address and assigned that address to the second ethernet card, but still no joy.

When I check the httpd error log I see that for one tester the hostname, ducks.mydomain.com, resolves to an incorrect IP address; the address of the machine previously used for this hostname.

I would be most grateful if anyone offer a link, suggestion or other guidance on the correct way to set this up.
- Mark

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Re: Hostnames: Local IP and Global IP
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 02:15:24 AM »
Quote from: "Mophilly"

I have not been able to enable access to "ducks" from the Internet using the URL "ducks.mydomain.com".

Access to "ducks.mydomain.com" from the Internet has absolutely nothing to do with the SME server. That name needs to be configured connectly in DNS by your Internet DNS service provider, and the IP address configured in DNS needs to be routed to the machine running the website for "ducks.mydomain.com".

Offline Mophilly

• +0/-0
    • Mophilly
Re: Hostnames: Local IP and Global IP
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 07:08:45 PM »
Thanks for the reply. Your note jogged my memory.

I overlooked a reverse proxy directive I had added to the httpd.conf templates for this set up. Clearly outside the spec for SME.
- Mark