Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Warning a reboot required

ephraims

Warning a reboot required
« on: July 12, 2006, 03:17:15 PM »
I have a client that has a server with about 50 people connected to it. The office admin person that used to do most of the looking over of the server left and the new person that came on likes to fiddle. When i went in to look at the server i saw a message that said warning a reboot is required. I asked him if he did anything recently and he said no but when i looked in the backup restore section it said that a restore was done on june 13 but it took no time ie started and finished at the same time. Here are the logs

Jun 13 14:01:26 ledsergserver /etc/e-smith/web/panels/user/cgi-bin/userpanel-userbackup[3612]: /etc/e-smith/restore: OLD restore=status|finish|0|start|0|state|idle
Jun 13 14:01:26 ledsergserver /etc/e-smith/web/panels/user/cgi-bin/userpanel-userbackup[3612]: /etc/e-smith/restore: NEW restore=status|finish|0|start|0|state|running
Jun 13 14:01:26 ledsergserver /etc/e-smith/web/panels/user/cgi-bin/userpanel-userbackup[3612]: /etc/e-smith/restore: OLD restore=status|finish|0|start|0|state|running
Jun 13 14:01:26 ledsergserver /etc/e-smith/web/panels/user/cgi-bin/userpanel-userbackup[3612]: /etc/e-smith/restore: NEW restore=status|finish|0|start|1150171286|state|running
Jun 13 14:01:26 ledsergserver /etc/e-smith/web/panels/user/cgi-bin/userpanel-userbackup[3612]: /home/e-smith/configuration: OLD bootstrap-console=service|ForceSave|no|Run|no|status|enabled
Jun 13 14:01:26 ledsergserver /etc/e-smith/web/panels/user/cgi-bin/userpanel-userbackup[3612]: /home/e-smith/configuration: NEW bootstrap-console=service|ForceSave|no|Run|yes|status|enabled
Jun 13 14:01:26 ledsergserver /etc/e-smith/web/panels/user/cgi-bin/userpanel-userbackup[3612]: /etc/e-smith/restore: OLD restore=status|finish|0|start|1150171286|state|running
Jun 13 14:01:26 ledsergserver /etc/e-smith/web/panels/user/cgi-bin/userpanel-userbackup[3612]: /etc/e-smith/restore: NEW restore=status|finish|0|start|1150171286|state|complete
Jun 13 14:01:26 ledsergserver /etc/e-smith/web/panels/user/cgi-bin/userpanel-userbackup[3612]: /etc/e-smith/restore: OLD restore=status|finish|0|start|1150171286|state|complete
Jun 13 14:01:26 ledsergserver /etc/e-smith/web/panels/user/cgi-bin/userpanel-userbackup[3612]: /etc/e-smith/restore: NEW restore=status|finish|1150171286|start|1150171286|state|complete

I am concerned to restart the server as i do not want to lose any of the config and it has been running like this for the past two to three weeks. Can anybody see any problems that i might run into. They also use this server as a domain server and i found that with sme there is no way to backup the domain accounts for the pc you have to go to each pc and log them off the domain and back on again which is a pain for 50pcs so i do not want to reload if i dont have to. Any help or reasurance that if i restart there will be no issues would be great.

Thanks

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
Re: Warning a reboot required
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 03:44:53 PM »
Quote from: "ephraims"
I have a client that has a server with about 50 people connected to it. The office admin person that used to do most of the looking over of the server left and the new person that came on likes to fiddle. When i went in to look at the server i saw a message that said warning a reboot is required. I asked him if he did anything recently and he said no but when i looked in the backup restore section it said that a restore was done on june 13 but it took no time ie started and finished at the same time. Here are the logs

Jun 13 14:01:26 ledsergserver /etc/e-smith/web/panels/user/cgi-bin/userpanel-userbackup[3612]: /etc/e-smith/restore: OLD restore=status|finish|0|start|0|state|idle
Jun 13 14:01:26 ledsergserver /etc/e-smith/web/panels/user/cgi-bin/userpanel-userbackup[3612]: /etc/e-smith/restore: NEW restore=status|finish|0|start|0|state|running
Jun 13 14:01:26 ledsergserver /etc/e-smith/web/panels/user/cgi-bin/userpanel-userbackup[3612]: /etc/e-smith/restore: OLD restore=status|finish|0|start|0|state|running
Jun 13 14:01:26 ledsergserver /etc/e-smith/web/panels/user/cgi-bin/userpanel-userbackup[3612]: /etc/e-smith/restore: NEW restore=status|finish|0|start|1150171286|state|running
Jun 13 14:01:26 ledsergserver /etc/e-smith/web/panels/user/cgi-bin/userpanel-userbackup[3612]: /home/e-smith/configuration: OLD bootstrap-console=service|ForceSave|no|Run|no|status|enabled
Jun 13 14:01:26 ledsergserver /etc/e-smith/web/panels/user/cgi-bin/userpanel-userbackup[3612]: /home/e-smith/configuration: NEW bootstrap-console=service|ForceSave|no|Run|yes|status|enabled
Jun 13 14:01:26 ledsergserver /etc/e-smith/web/panels/user/cgi-bin/userpanel-userbackup[3612]: /etc/e-smith/restore: OLD restore=status|finish|0|start|1150171286|state|running
Jun 13 14:01:26 ledsergserver /etc/e-smith/web/panels/user/cgi-bin/userpanel-userbackup[3612]: /etc/e-smith/restore: NEW restore=status|finish|0|start|1150171286|state|complete
Jun 13 14:01:26 ledsergserver /etc/e-smith/web/panels/user/cgi-bin/userpanel-userbackup[3612]: /etc/e-smith/restore: OLD restore=status|finish|0|start|1150171286|state|complete
Jun 13 14:01:26 ledsergserver /etc/e-smith/web/panels/user/cgi-bin/userpanel-userbackup[3612]: /etc/e-smith/restore: NEW restore=status|finish|1150171286|start|1150171286|state|complete

I am concerned to restart the server as i do not want to lose any of the config and it has been running like this for the past two to three weeks. Can anybody see any problems that i might run into. They also use this server as a domain server and i found that with sme there is no way to backup the domain accounts for the pc you have to go to each pc and log them off the domain and back on again which is a pain for 50pcs so i do not want to reload if i dont have to. Any help or reasurance that if i restart there will be no issues would be great.

Thanks
What does the /var/log/messages file say? Maybe it can give you some clues about altered database settings or events fired by this (pain in the ass) user.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

ephraims

Above is the var/log/messages
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 11:16:23 PM »
The above log shows the info from the messages log. It does not give me much detail on what happend? is there any other logs that would give me an indication of what was altered?

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 11:08:33 PM »
Quote from: "ephraims"
I have a client that has a server with about 50 people connected to it. The office admin person that used to do most of the looking over of the server left and the new person that came on likes to fiddle. When i went in to look at the server i saw a message that said warning a reboot is required. I asked him if he did anything recently and he said no but when i looked in the backup restore section it said that a restore was done on june 13 but it took no time ie started and finished at the same time.

Restore should only ever be done onto a freshly installed system.

userpanel-userbackup is a non-standard package, and I don't know what it does.

Offline raem

• +4/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 02:34:02 PM »
Charlie & ephraims

> userpanel-userbackup is a non-standard package, and I don't know what it does.

That's the user manager contrib from dungog.
After install access it using
https://youdomain/user-manager & user your own username & password
Admin user configures it to allow users to have access to certain panels in server manager.
There is a panel for the logged in user to backup their home folders to the server. It has selections for backup, restore & verify, similar to the backup to desktop function except just for user homes.

I'm guessing this new expert selected to restore a users home folder and that's what is in the logs.

Offline raem

• +4/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 02:37:11 PM »
Charlie & ephraims

> There is a panel for the logged in user to backup their home folders to the server.

Sorry that should have said:
There is a panel for the logged in user to backup their home folders on  the server to their workstation.

Quoting from the panel:

Backup or restore user data
This page allows you to create a copy of your own user data files, from your home directory and downloads it to your local desktop via your web browser. The Verify desktop backup file option can be used to view a list of files in a desktop backup file.

Click here to check/refresh the disk usage for this user, it may take a minute the first time but should be faster afterwards.