Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

HELP! EMERGENCY - I DELETED SAMBA

Offline piedie

• +0/-0
« on: July 03, 2007, 12:53:04 PM »
Hi!

Sleepy as I sometimes am, and trying to fix a printer error, i wanted to reinstall cups. So... I selected Samba-common, Samba Client and Samba in the Software Installer, and clicked Uninstall.

Now, almost nothing works. I cannot acces the servermanager or the e-mail.

I did only delete those three things, nothing else. I think it was version 0301014e12.2, that is what I wrote down before i deleted it.

WHAT TO DO? PLEASE HELP ME! I know how stupid this is, but I do not know what to do...

I found this: http://mirror.contribs.org/smeserver/contribs/gzartman/Beta/Samba3/

Can I install that? Will it work?

Thank you for a fast answer,

Pieter

Offline ldkeen

• +0/-0
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 01:00:54 PM »
Hi Pieter,
First off DONT PANIC. Do you have local access to the machine? If so pull up a console, login as root and do the following:
#yum install samba samba-common samba-client
#signal-event post-upgrade
#signal-event reboot
Regards, Lloyd

Offline piedie

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 01:07:55 PM »
Ok, thank you for helping me so soon!

I get this error: (something with repositories?)

Code: [Select]
Loading "fastestmirror" plugin
Loading "smeserver" plugin
Setting up install process
Setting up repositories
http://sme.dungog.net/BLAH BLAH BLAH: [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (-3, 'Temporary failure in name resolution')>
Trying other mirror
Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: dungogMembers
failure: repodata/repomd.xml from dungogmembers: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try
failure: repodata/repomd.xml from dungogmembers: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try

Offline ldkeen

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 01:50:08 PM »
Pieter, Disable Dungog Members repo and try again:
#yum --disablerepo=dungogMembers install samba samba-common samba-client
Lloyd

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 01:56:35 PM »
Quote from: "piedie"
Ok, thank you for helping me so soon!

I get this error: (something with repositories?)

Loading "fastestmirror" plugin
Loading "smeserver" plugin
Setting up install process
Setting up repositories
http://sme.dungog.net/BLAH BLAH BLAH: [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (-3, 'Temporary failure in name resolution')>
Trying other mirror
Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: dungogMembers

disable dungog repository

yum --disablerepo=dungog install samba samba-common samba-client

HTH

Ciao
Stefano

Offline piedie

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 02:00:40 PM »
Same error comes up: first dungog, when I disable both dungog and dungogmembers, sme error for smeaddons (= failure in name resolutions)

But it seems to be getting worse; I cannot signal-event. (Command doesn't exist) When i try 'reboot' instead, it says: Cannot execute /etc/rc.d/rc.e-smith, then the systems halts, without rebooting.

It seems to be missing. At start up (turned the switch off and on again) it says the same, cannot execute rc.e-smith. And it says Cannot execute /etc/rc.d/rc.Quotacreate

Any idea? This is getting really messy, but all i did was deleting Samba....!

Now there is no acces possible from the network, not from internet to the server, no mail etcetera.

Thank you so much!

Offline ldkeen

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 02:17:14 PM »
Pieter
I cannot signal-event. (Command doesn't exist)

Probably should be using the full path anyway, which is:
#/sbin/e-smith/signal-event reboot
When i try 'reboot' instead

Try to avoid doing this if you can.
sme error for smeaddons (= failure in name resolutions)

Is your network up and running? Can you ping external sites? If your network is going try this:
#/usr/bin/yum --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=base --enablerepo=smeos install samba samba-common samba-client
Lloyd

Offline byte

• +2/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 02:23:18 PM »
Hmm seems you have done more than delete/remove the samba rpms, I think your best bet is to grab your SME Server boot cd and when you boot off from cd it then ask's you to format or upgrade existing SME Server installation, if you choose the upgrade existing SME Server installation it should put you back to a working state.

**Disclaimer**
I've never tried myself to upgrade existing installation but can't see why it wouldn't work. So it's down to you to make sure you have backups if anything goes wrong.
--[byte]--

Have you filled in a Bug Report over @ http://bugs.contribs.org ? Please don't wait to be told this way you help us to help you/others - Thanks!

Offline piedie

• +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 02:25:33 PM »
/sbin/e-smith/signal-event post-upgrade works fine (so thanks)

But when i try /sbin/e-smith/signal-event reboot this error comes up: Can't open directory /etc/e-smith/events/reboot

And no, I cannot ping: Network is unreachable.

Any idea? Is this because of the Cannot execute /etc/rc.d/rc.e-smith at start-up? Or any other idea? I'll check networkcables, although it seems to me that it is not something hardware...

Thank you so much for helping me, i got a full company here all trying to kill me. So thanks for avoiding that...

Offline piedie

• +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 02:27:15 PM »
BTW: Server is in server-only mode. The internetconnection is still alive (if you read this, it is :-)) And the router-LED lights green, so there must be some kind of connection between server and router.

Pieter

Offline ldkeen

• +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2007, 02:31:41 PM »
Pieter,
You must have internet connection somewhere (in order to post here  :D ). Can you head over to http://mirror.contribs.org/smeserver/releases/7.1/smeupdates/i386/RPMS/ and grab the three samba packages (you are running 7.1.3 aren't you?), then dump them on a CD or memory stick and copy them to the server. Then from the directory where you copied them to execute this:
#/usr/bin/yum localinstall *.rpm
#/sbin/e-smith/signal-event post-upgrade
#/sbin/e-smith/signal-event reboot

Offline piedie

• +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2007, 02:34:53 PM »
Have no idea what to backup now that i do not have my server-manager to help me. Files and mail i can found, but important settings? How can i do this if i need to use the upgrade. I'll wait with that to see if anybody has any other options, otherwise i'll try.

If somebody want to be helpdesk/hotline, feel free (+3136 52 161 19), i'll even pay you, that is how important this is!

Offline byte

• +2/-0
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2007, 02:45:16 PM »
Have no idea what to backup now that i do not have my server-manager to help me. Files and mail i can found, but important settings? How can i do this if i need to use the upgrade.

When upgrading via the CD if you choose the upgrade path it will presere your configuration data. If you haven't done a back up and would like to you will need to back up the following...

/etc/group
/etc/gshadow
/etc/passwd
/etc/shadow
/etc/smbpasswd
/etc/samba/secrets.tdb
/etc/smbpasswd
/etc/sudoers
/home/e-smith/
/etc/e-smith/templates-custom/
/etc/e-smith/templates-user-custom/
/root
--[byte]--

Have you filled in a Bug Report over @ http://bugs.contribs.org ? Please don't wait to be told this way you help us to help you/others - Thanks!

Offline piedie

• +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2007, 04:19:37 PM »
Okay. I now am formatting an usb drive to backup, after that i will try the cd-rom upgrade. Any idea what it will do to for instance eGroupware? And other contribs? Maybe some good hints?

Thank you, i'll keep you posted.

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2007, 06:05:35 PM »
/sbin/e-smith/signal-event post-upgrade works fine (so thanks)

But when i try /sbin/e-smith/signal-event reboot this error comes up: Can't open directory /etc/e-smith/events/reboot

In that case, you have more missing that samba rpms. You are missing e-smith-base (or at least some of the files from it).