Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Two Problems with the Shared Folders Contrib & Documentation

Offline ttech

• +0/-0
Two Problems with the Shared Folders Contrib & Documentation
« on: September 13, 2015, 12:52:30 AM »
Hello.  I am trying to substitute SME 9 for a Win2003SBS install.  I have encountered two problems.
1) While doing some debugging on the following issue, I found that the links to download the win7 (and win8) registry patch are invalid.  Is it possible for someone to either provide alternate links and/or post the code in the wiki so that we can regenerate it / patch the registry manually?

2) The main issue is that we want to have the shared folder functionality in SME so that certain users can be limited to read-only access to the normally r/w folder.  The shared folders contrib has been installed on a base SME9 install using the same domain name as the win2k3 svr.  It's the only contrib and SME has been updated to current status.
  While testing the new server, the Win2k3 svr was disconnected from the network and SME was the DC with the same domain name (this domain was entered in the workgroup also).  After creating a test user, I'm able to connect to, and r/w files to that user's file folder from a Win7 client.  I then installed the shared folders contrib and created a share.  I cannot access this folder from the same client.  An error to the effect of 'permission has been denied to this network resource' (paraphrased) pops up.  (I'm typing this from memory - I won't be back there to get more specifics until another day has passed).  We have changed the Win7 clients UN/PW so that it's the same for the windows and SME domains [they match also]).  The Win7 machine was able to connect to the other SME user's account folder from windows explorer after entering their SME UN/PW.  We're not even prompted to enter the same when we try to open the shared folder - access is denied even though the win7 users account exists in SME and has been given r/w access in the shared folders panel in server manager.  He's a member of an SME group which was also given access to this shared folder.  But neither the group access or individual account access seems to get him in via windows explorer (but it works for accessing the other users home folder...).
   This issue was encountered at the very end of the day and we had to leave without checking logs, etc.  We did get as far as checking the Win7 support part of the documentation and couldn't find the specifics of the registry patch (above).

Would anyone be so kind as to suggest what logs to check first as well as any potential counter-measures that we could try on Monday morning when we roll up our sleeves?  Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions!

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
Re: Two Problems with the Shared Folders Contrib & Documentation
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 01:58:20 AM »
Hello.  I am trying to substitute SME 9 for a Win2003SBS install.  I have encountered two problems.
1) While doing some debugging on the following issue, I found that the links to download the win7 (and win8) registry patch are invalid.  Is it possible for someone to either provide alternate links and/or post the code in the wiki so that we can regenerate it / patch the registry manually?

These are found on the system you install, use URL as per wiki, they reside in /home/e-smith/files/server-resources/regedit on your local system.
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline janet

• +0/-0
Re: Two Problems with the Shared Folders Contrib & Documentation
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 02:46:09 AM »
ttech

I am not sure of what you have done as you did not provide all the details of how you swapped servers, so my answer may be "off target".

You appear to be using DOMAIN based login.
Did you move the machine accounts from Win server to SME (not sure if it can easily be done, there may be a Howto),
or otherwise did you join (unjoin & rejoin) the Windows workstation/users to the SME server DOMAIN.
If DOMAIN trust permissions are not setup correctly, you will not be able to access resources.

Have you configured Groups on SME server to allow/control users or groups of users access to ibays etc ?

You do need to look at log files & provide full & exact error messages & log file errors, these are usually critical to help identify the souyrce of problems.
You do need to run those registry tweaks to allow DOMAIN login to work correctly, as advised they are on the SME server, not external, & using the URL provided should access them, otherwise just copy them from the location advised to yoru workstation & run them there.

You need to provide more information.
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.