Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Dansguardian and Using Clamav documentation question

Offline steve288

• +0/-0
Dansguardian and Using Clamav documentation question
« on: May 10, 2016, 05:20:17 PM »
I have installed SME 9.1 on a new machine.
I have installed Dansguardian.

I thought I would enable the scanning for viruses based on https://wiki.contribs.org/Dansguardian and then search for "ClamAV support".
I have followed the instructions so far, but in the section that says the following. I'm confused by what is right.

also edit /etc/dansguardian/contentscanners/clamdscan.conf and uncomment
+ clamdudsfile = '/var/clamav/clamd.socket'
- #clamdudsfile = '/var/run/clamav/clamd.socket'

However in my SME 9.1 version of the clamdscan.conf file I have a line that has the following

# clamdudsfile = '/var/clamav/clamd.sock'

Couple of things.
1. Version 9.1 uses the file name clamd.sock, but the Dans Wiki says to uncomment the string that ends in clamd.socket (notice sock vs socket)
Is this just a 9.1 difference or something in error?

2. I don't understand what it means by the + and - in my first quote from the Dans howto? Sure Im suppose to edit it as the wiki says but the + - confuse me? And the line - #clamdudsfile = '/var/run/clamav/clamd.socket' doesnt even exist in the clamdscan.conf file. the - seems to indicate remove, basically its not clear to me?

3. By the way is it true that /var/run/ is suppose to point to an empty directory. Maybe this is some sort of sand box to extract the possible virus, I really dont know, but I just note it in case this is an issue.

4. Whether I'm suppose to add /var/run/clamav/clamd.socket (point 2) in either case when I go to
/var/clamav/ folder there is a file there called clam.socket thus if I am suppose to simply un-comment the line that says : # clamdudsfile = '/var/clamav/clamd.sock' I dont think it will work because when you actually look at the folder /var/clamav there is no file there called clamd.sock but rather clamd.socket

I'm just an administrator not programmer but from trying to follow the trails I conclude there may be some issues. I hope I'm not off base.

Certainly I think the FAQ, my first quote needs a little more clarification possibly when all the other things are sorted out.

Regards

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
Re: Dansguardian and Using Clamav documentation question
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 09:43:21 PM »
- #clamdudsfile = '/var/run/clamav/clamd.socket'

+ means add that line
- remove that line
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline steve288

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 10:24:41 PM »
Thanks for that. And i assume that if if its not there as in my case then. I don't need to remove.

Now for the other question, regarding sock and socket? names. Should I rename my setting to /clamd.socket in the config file?

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 11:14:51 PM »
Sorry don't use dansguardian, but, I would just add the line as described:

and suck it and see.

added: and perhaps raise a bug against the wiki re clarity
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline steve288

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 08:08:24 PM »
I have tried added the + line.
When I do then I cannot access any sites. Dans reports in its warning page "Could not perform Virus Scan"
When I get time I will report.

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 09:14:06 PM »
I hope you did noto add the + sign... :-)

Offline steve288

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 10:19:37 PM »
No but thanks for the point.
Im not sure if the + - is normal description of adding and removing things? While I get it. I think (IMHO) it could be confusing to some... well me anyway.
thanks.