Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

First install SME 9

Offline Arkhons

• +0/-0
First install SME 9
« on: November 11, 2016, 01:38:20 PM »
Hi everybody,

I've just finished a SME 9 installation and i have a few question about it:
- About the files server: can i share a directory in a group A with a group B who doesn't have access to the group A? I mean if i create a directory "test" which belongs to a group A, is that possible to grant access to group B just for this directory?
- About the mail server, i can't configure horde with Gmail (IMAP or POP). It works nice with hotmail or ovh.
-And finaly, can i keep using thunderbird or outlook with SME?

Thanks a lot!

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
Re: First install SME 9
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 02:14:35 PM »
Hi everybody,

hi, welcome here..

I've just finished a SME 9 installation and i have a few question about it:
- About the files server: can i share a directory in a group A with a group B who doesn't have access to the group A? I mean if i create a directory "test" which belongs to a group A, is that possible to grant access to group B just for this directory?
you can work only at share level, meaning that you can create 2 groups and an ibay, setting fot that ibay and group A reading and writing privileges, while group B can only read or don't have any access to that ibay..
if you are referring to folders inside the share, no, it's not feasible from SME.. you need to set acl at client level (I guess windows)
you'd take a look at shared-folders contrib, which enhances some ibay features (but have no effect on existing ibays)

- About the mail server, i can't configure horde with Gmail (IMAP or POP). It works nice with hotmail or ovh.

can you describe what are you referring to? are you configuring access to external accounts from within horde?
if you want such a feature, I suggest you to take a look at Sogo contrib, which is better than horde

-And finaly, can i keep using thunderbird or outlook with SME?

yes, of course.. please be aware that all outlook releases suffer from the same bug (never corrected) about test message (when you setup your account).. see:
https://wiki.contribs.org/SME_Server:Documentation:FAQ:Section04#Outlook_test_message_doesn.27t_come_through

Offline janet

• +0/-0
Re: First install SME 9
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 04:43:44 PM »
Arkhons

Create ibay1 & create group1, in server manager ibays panel assign ownership/access for ibay1 to group1.
Do similar for ibay2 & group2, ibay3 & group3 & so on.

Then in server manager Users panel or Groups panel, you add users to the groups eg
User1 is member of group1 & group3 so therfore has access to ibay1& ibay3
User2 is member of group2 & group3 so therefore has access to ibay2 & ibay3
User3 is member of group3 & therefore only has access to ibay3, & so on.
Remember (as it says in the server manager panel) this access control is only for LAN (or VPN connection which connects external users to LAN) & not for Internet web access to ibay content.
There are other ways of managing web access (which is essentially anonymous).
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 04:45:44 PM by janet »
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.