Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Console Upgrade from 9.2 to 10- where did I go wrong.

Offline k_graham

• +0/-0
Console Upgrade from 9.2 to 10- where did I go wrong.
« on: November 07, 2021, 12:53:42 AM »
I did a console backup to external disk.of SME Server 9 last night.
Removed 6 year old mirrored disks from server after completion of backup to the external USB.

Installed 2 new SATA disks, 4 terabyte capacity
Booted with 2 new disks for mirroring

Checked DVD Koozali10 SME Server and media appears okay and then installed.
Removed DVD on completion and rebooted.
When it asked if it was a upgrade I said yes and was able to select USB drive and start upgrade.

Initial indications were to press space bar and when console screen re-appears it showed increasing percentages of being restored. I assumed it was done when it showed a log in screen and I rebooted . However instructions indicate I am to wait for it to say done, but my assumption was I am done if it wants me to log in, was I wrong ?

Anyway after rebooting all looked good but I have no network connection.

The server is a several year old HP Proliant ML110 G7 with built in Ethernet adapters e100e with information as "Intel Corporation 82574L Gigabyte"

Initially it was set to use both as per SME 9.2 in Server only mode, but I have also tried to select each network port individually as well as  installing a Startec.com PCI Express Ethernet Network Card, all in ServerOnly Mode, which shows up in the list but in all cases the system is not showing on the network and I can not ping it from another computer,  The network is set with server as 10.0.0.1 and 255.255.255.0 . The computer I tried pinging from is 10.0.0.157

Also the server is not able to find the internet but has no problem on SME9.

When I put the original SME 9.2 disks back in place the system does boot and is visible on the internet .

My initial thought was that for some reason the internal network ports are not supported though they worked fine with SME 9. My next thought is that I should have allowed more time at the re-install, was the login screen not the finish and would a finished installation message appear after the Login screen?

Suggestions?

Offline sages

• +0/-0
    • http://www.sages.com.au
Re: Console Upgrade from 9.2 to 10- where did I go wrong.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2021, 01:17:14 AM »
After the upgrade did you log in as admin and configure the network from the admin console?
https://wiki.koozali.org/SME_Server:Documentation:Administration_Manual:Chapter6

Offline k_graham

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2021, 01:59:26 AM »
After the upgrade did you log in as admin and configure the network from the admin console?
https://wiki.koozali.org/SME_Server:Documentation:Administration_Manual:Chapter6

I did log in and as it was not working did try selecting each ethernet port 1 at a time changing it to only a single, even going as far as installing an additional network card and selecting it. The Startech PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Network Card.

Any suggestions in a PCI Express card to order?

I would have thought the on board ports would be fine as it works in SME server 9.2 and also as it is an Intel based unit.

Thanks.

Offline Jean-Philippe Pialasse

• +11/-0
  • aka Unnilennium
    • http://smeserver.pialasse.com
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2021, 02:02:01 AM »
you should be good with the original e1000. 
any custom templates ?

what is your server mode?

any contribs?

Offline k_graham

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2021, 02:49:28 AM »
you should be good with the original e1000. 
any custom templates ?

what is your server mode?

any contribs?

"Server Only"
It was set to minimal when running the setup of 10,

There is BackupPC showing in the 9.2 web browser. I did not end up using that thouh with more disk space I might have considered it again.

May I assume that the login window is what I should have seen after the restore? I did leave the system for a few hours during the restore and there were no power outages but if a completion message should have been their I could do the install and restore over.

Offline sages

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2021, 02:58:19 AM »
Depends on how much data there was to be restored. As a guide if the backup took 4 hours, the restore will take a similar time.
From a console login what is in either /var/log/messages during boot and/or dmesg. Specifically looking for the ethernet card driver loading for error messages.
Look in /etc/e-smith/templates-custom (as JP mentioned above) for anything that might be overriding the network setup.

How are you determining that the internet is not accessible? looking from the internet in (http/web page visible) or from the server out (ping or such)?

Offline k_graham

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2021, 03:26:15 AM »
Depends on how much data there was to be restored. As a guide if the backup took 4 hours, the restore will take a similar time.
From a console login what is in either /var/log/messages during boot and/or dmesg. Specifically looking for the ethernet card driver loading for error messages.
Look in /etc/e-smith/templates-custom (as JP mentioned above) for anything that might be overriding the network setup.

How are you determining that the internet is not accessible? looking from the internet in (http/web page visible) or from the server out (ping or such)?

I figured the backup at 9 hours as was 70% done at 6 hours (midnight). Then restored at 6:30 am and it showed a login message 7 hours later so it appeared to be a bit faster on restore, if that makes sense.

As it is set to Server only I am not seeing anything at 10.0.0.1 when pinging from another computer.
From the server console, Test internet access brings up nothing, it times out. Network ports appeared to be lighted green. I wonder if there is any possibility that for some reason it does not accept 10.0.0.1

When you say from a console login (do you mean admin or root, for

I am thinking maybe root and then use MC to find and display for reading.

Offline sages

• +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2021, 03:45:46 AM »
console logon -> root
server admin logon -> admin

and yes, 'mc' is good to view logs

You need to determine if the problem is the network card/drive or configuration. So the log could give a clue regarding driver issues. if that is ok then something like 'ifconfig' and/or 'route' will give a clue regarding ip address/network configuration.

• +11/-0
  • aka Unnilennium
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2021, 04:04:17 AM »
in other words my question would be better answered with the output of
Code: [Select]

/sbin/e-smith/audittools/templates
/sbin/e-smith/audittools/newrpms |grep smeserver

if backuppc is listed in contribs then it seems you had enought tome to have network to at least install this contrib ?

Offline ReetP

• +5/-0
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2021, 12:06:52 PM »
Your cards are probably fine. Just need a bit of care & patience.

You have to run reconfigure after a restore because your old network device will be say eth0 and the new one something like the forever memorable (not) enp2s0

You need to get that updated (I had exact same last night). You'll need to do that after EVERY network card change now (read about linux & memorable network names).

So how about you look at:

ifconfig
Also
ll /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
On older machines restore can take a while so you have to be extremely patient.

If you have a prompt after restore then run reconfigure and check dmesg and /var/log/messages for you network card.
1. Read the Manual
2. Read the Wiki
3. Don't ask for support on Unsupported versions of software
4. I have a job, wife, and kids and do this in my spare time. If you want something fixed, please help.

Bugs are easier than you think: http://wiki.contribs.org/Bugzilla_Help

If you love SME and don't want to lose it, join in: http://wiki.contribs.org/Koozali_Foundation

Offline k_graham

• +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2021, 07:44:18 AM »
I did log in and as it was not working did try selecting each ethernet port 1 at a time changing it to only a single, even going as far as installing an additional network card and selecting it. The Startech PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Network Card.

Any suggestions in a PCI Express card to order?

I would have thought the on board ports would be fine as it works in SME server 9.2 and also as it is an Intel based unit.

Thanks.
A bit more on this, logging in as root I was able to ping my gateway and 1.1.1.1  so evidently it can send, the issue is that the other computers are not able to ping it at 10.0.0.1 and all are within the 10.0.0.1 to 10.0.0.254 range .

Going through the 10 problems posted at the top of the list I did not appear to have DNS

Do I have access to my ISP or to my local gateway in case something else is doing the gateway on my LAN
ping your.gate.way.ip    Worked

Are DNS working ?
# dig google.com +short   This did not bring up those IP #'s it timed out, no servers could be reached
# dig mirror.centos.org +short
Then fix your network /dns  Suggestions Welcomed

Offline k_graham

• +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2021, 07:46:59 AM »

if backuppc is listed in contribs then it seems you had enought tome to have network to at least install this contrib ?

Sorry, no, that was in 9, I don't believe it came across to 10.

Offline k_graham

• +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2021, 08:13:19 AM »
Your cards are probably fine. Just need a bit of care & patience.

You have to run reconfigure after a restore because your old network device will be say eth0 and the new one something like the forever memorable (not) enp2s0

You need to get that updated (I had exact same last night). You'll need to do that after EVERY network card change now (read about linux & memorable network names).

ifconfig
Also
On older machines restore can take a while so you have to be extremely patient.

If you have a prompt after restore then run reconfigure and check dmesg and /var/log/messages for you network card.

Sorry - where precisely is ifconfig ?

Also I should add, it appears the server-manager is not accessible.

It looks like the system might do a basic SME10 but has issues in the restore. I wonder if I would be better to do a basic install and  a separate restore of data and mail?
I am guessing the basic SME 10 could easily fit on a 250 GIG SSD or perhaps a 120 gig as long as mail and data were on raid disks.

Offline sages

• +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2021, 08:21:06 AM »
'ifconfig' is a command, just type it on a console. ('ip ad' will show similar information). It will tell us what your local Ip address is and what the actual interface is called. I suspect that it isn't 10.0.0.1 that you keep trying to ping from another machine. What makes you think the IP address of your server is actually 10.0.0.1?

I'm also sus that your your network configuration hasn't been done since the upgrade from the admin screen. (see admin manual, install section for details).

Offline ReetP

• +5/-0
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2021, 11:00:52 AM »
I'm also sus that your your network configuration hasn't been done since the upgrade from the admin screen. (see admin manual, install section for details).

Me too. And then changes have been made which have conflated things.

Just go back to basics.

The OP should type the commands listed above and post the output please (and it's a good time to read the wiki and wider for what some of these do to educate yourself)

At the minute this is all guesswork and becoming an http://xyproblem.info
1. Read the Manual
2. Read the Wiki
4. I have a job, wife, and kids and do this in my spare time. If you want something fixed, please help.

If you love SME and don't want to lose it, join in: http://wiki.contribs.org/Koozali_Foundation

Offline sages

• +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2021, 12:14:19 PM »
So, from a root console logon
show the output from:
ifconfig

then

db configuration show InternalInterface

Offline k_graham

• +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2021, 03:51:14 AM »

ifconfig

eno1: flags=4163 <UP, BRDADCAST, RUNNING, MULTICAST> mtu1500

inet 10.0.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 10.0.0.255

Offline sages

• +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2021, 03:57:05 AM »
If possible please try and cut and paste the output rather than retyping it.
For example if you use 'putty' (ssh program for windows) you can copy by using the mouse to highlight the text and then the usual functions to paste it into a windows program. The reverse is possible (ie use the right click to paste from the clipboard back into the putty window).
Hence my suggestion that you try a cut and paste rather than retyping.

There are people trying to help you but it is very difficult if we have any typo's or miscommunication.

What you have shown isn't something I've seen for the ethernet port, I'd expect something more like 'enp2s0'
Also the output from 'db configuration show InternalInterface' will let us see if the sme config matches hardware.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 04:05:30 AM by sages »

Offline k_graham

• +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2021, 04:09:19 AM »
So, from a root console logon
show the output from:
ifconfig

then

Internal Interface = interface
Broadcast-10.0.0.255
Configuration =static
Driver=e1000e
ip address=10.0.0.1
NicBondigin disabled
Nic Bond options=miimon=200mode=active backup
Name=eno11
netmask=255.255.255.0
Network=10.0.0.0

Offline k_graham

• +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2021, 04:14:01 AM »

no such file or directory

Offline sages

• +0/-0
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2021, 04:20:20 AM »
Straight off, your network interface names don't match between what you say is the output from 'ifconfig' and from the 'db configuration show'
That said, there are typo's in both outputs suggesting that you have retyped the output and not cut and pasted the output. So I'd have to guess if that is an issue or not.
Please cut and paste the output from the commands.

There seems to be something in your configuration regarding network bonding, it might be disabled and just left over from the previous build but not sure.

[edit] ok, I realised that your network issues suggest that you are working from a console rather than a ssh session and that makes cut and paste difficult.

What I was looking for was if the interface names match between the ifconfig and the db config show. Please check and confirm/deny.
Also the IP address is what you think it should be.
Have you logged on as admin and reconfigure the network from the admin console? If not, please do so.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 04:26:19 AM by sages »

Offline k_graham

• +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2021, 04:45:37 AM »
If possible please try and cut and paste the output rather than retyping it.
For example if you use 'putty' (ssh program for windows) you can copy by using the mouse to highlight the text and then the usual functions to paste it into a windows program. The reverse is possible (ie use the right click to paste from the clipboard back into the putty window).
Hence my suggestion that you try a cut and paste rather than retyping.

There are people trying to help you but it is very difficult if we have any typo's or miscommunication.

What you have shown isn't something I've seen for the ethernet port, I'd expect something more like 'enp2s0'
Also the output from 'db configuration show InternalInterface' will let us see if the sme config matches hardware.
I would love to cut and past the output but as I can not get the network to work I can not use putty. Perhaps a suggestion as to how I could redirect screen output to a file on a USB then I could open the USB on the windows machine.

If I

Code

db configuration show InternalInterface > /configuration.txt

It does create a configuration text file in the  root directory of the hard drive. however I need to figure out how to direct it to a USB so I can manually move it.

I appreciate people are providing suggestions.

I was wondering if I do a install again without adding the USB backup I could see if the initial install works. In case the issue is with the basic install and the HP Proliant ML110 G7 server with 4 gigs of RAM.

Is there a way after checking that it works to instigate the 1st time install question of restoring data from backup?

Thanks,
Ken

Offline k_graham

• +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2021, 05:03:55 AM »
Straight off, your network interface names don't match between what you say is the output from 'ifconfig' and from the 'db configuration show'
That said, there are typo's in both outputs suggesting that you have retyped the output and not cut and pasted the output. So I'd have to guess if that is an issue or not.
Please cut and paste the output from the commands.

There seems to be something in your configuration regarding network bonding, it might be disabled and just left over from the previous build but not sure.

[edit] ok, I realised that your network issues suggest that you are working from a console rather than a ssh session and that makes cut and paste difficult.

What I was looking for was if the interface names match between the ifconfig and the db config show. Please check and confirm/deny.
Have you logged on as admin and reconfigure the network from the admin console? If not, please do so.

ifconfig shows eno1

dbfconfiguration shows eno1

Yes I disabled the network bonding just in case it was the issue but have left both ethernet ports connected to router so I do not mistakenly leave the wrong one disconnected. Once I get the networking again I will probably reinstate the network bonding assuming is available in SME10.

What I was looking for was if the interface names match between the ifconfig and the db config show. Please check and confirm/deny. Confirmed the same as above in bold

Yes it is what I expected 10.0.0.1 and yes I did do a reconfigure at the admin console.

Thanks,
Ken

Offline sages

• +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2021, 05:22:34 AM »
And the output of

specifically you are looking for a file called
ifcfg-eno1
and
route-eno1

And have you run through the configuration again. [edit] do not enable or configure bonding at this stage
https://wiki.koozali.org/SME_Server:Documentation:Administration_Manual:Chapter5#Configuring_your_Koozali_SME_Server

And another thought, you said you can ping from your server to other devices on the network but can't ping the server from another device. Are you using only one device to test your server against? ie server -> test device, test device -> server. If not then please use the same test device to ping to and from.

• +11/-0
  • aka Unnilennium
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2021, 05:25:08 AM »

then you have a big issue

how did you restored your backup ?

please return the output of
ll /sbinshould be something like this
# ll /sbin
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 28 déc  2018 /sbin -> usr/sbin

also
cat /etc/e-smith-release

Offline k_graham

• +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2021, 07:11:08 AM »
And the output of

ifcfg-eno1
and
route-eno1

And have you run through the configuration again. [edit] do not enable or configure bonding at this stage
https://wiki.koozali.org/SME_Server:Documentation:Administration_Manual:Chapter5#Configuring_your_Koozali_SME_Server

And another thought, you said you can ping from your server to other devices on the network but can't ping the server from another device. Are you using only one device to test your server against? ie server -> test device, test device -> server. If not then please use the same test device to ping to and from.
I decided to try the re-install again, good that this was being done to 2 new disks so I still have the originals working.  Due to what you mentioned I will disable bonding on SME9 so it is not active when installed to 10.  Also regards the ping from and to. Good idea, I was pinging the router but instead will ping a computer when I next get the chance, probably tomorrow night. Before restoring the backup USB drive to 10 I think I will 1st see if 10 works before the restore. That is that I can ping both ways on the network etc.
Thanks
Ken

Offline k_graham

• +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2021, 07:04:45 AM »

# ll /sbin

also
cat /etc/e-smith-release

Tonight I started over. With the 2 new drives in place and formatted to ext4 I went through the steps, turning on only 1 ethernet port,  and then setting time, language, minimum install etc so there were no warnings. By doing the network 1st I was able to see it also allowed internet time servers to be found.

On reboot with CD removed I said no to having a backup to restore and configured the IP to 10.0.0.1, 255.255.255,0 Used only 1 port for the server, and had no problem remote logging in from another computer. I was able to download updates to latest, As well at the console I  was able to check that it could find the internet, and I could access the text based server-manager.  I find myself wondering if 4 GIGS of RAM is enough as on the previous install with my data restore I could not get proper video to see to type in the admin and password.

May I ask what the consensus is on a good amount of RAM where it would start to be excessive with little benefit . 4, 8, 16, 32 , 64 gigs?

I then removed the new disks and installed the old 9.2 SME disks and disabled the 2 network cards joining so only 1 is being utilized. As well I turned off Clam Antivirus and web mail so it will be configured more like the currently working SME 10. Then I left it saving to a USB drive via the Console on a ext3 formatted disk. Tomorrow being Rememberance day I will again attempt an install to 10 with the lowered resource settings. Then if it works, perhaps turn on the mail etc. and check with each item added.

If it does not work I will then try and answer any remaining questions.

Hopefully restoring from a USBdisk will work accorign to page 4/36

mount /media/usbdisk
cp /media/usbdisk/Backup-date-folder/smeserver.tgz /

(not sure where to get the info to replace  usbdisk with actual mount point name and Backup-date-folder with actual folder date name)_

This would have the benefit that all updates are already in place. 

Thanks, for direction.

Ken

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2021, 07:40:16 AM »
May I ask what the consensus is on a good amount of RAM where it would start to be excessive with little benefit . 4, 8, 16, 32 , 64 gigs?

4gb is the go as a minimum, more to do with increasing resource load, clam being the prime suspect, as is often the case with computers more the better, depends on your usage..all my test VMs are 4gb, my home server is 8gb.

If you have a working sme10 why go back? Backup the sme9 to a USB, load up the sme10 and in the console will be an option to restore from removeable media, as long as you have not added a new user etc it will be present, restore the sme9 backup, reconfig/reboot all sweet (hopefully)

--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline ReetP

• +5/-0
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2021, 10:22:07 AM »
Absolute minimum 4Gb for installer + clam.

After that as much as you can throw at it depending on load.

Please make that whatever you do, make  accurate notes as you go.

Still need to know what v10 names your network card.

Either run
ifconfig or
ip addr show
1. Read the Manual
2. Read the Wiki

• +11/-0
  • aka Unnilennium
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2021, 02:05:29 PM »
your system is expected to be slow on first hours as it is generating a dh parameter for dovecot.  could take more than one day on really slow system.

also please not that bu choosing to format with ext4 you deviated from standard install which will use xfs, and had to choose (wisely, we all hope) your partitionning, as even entering in the disk interface will result is overriding the kickstart default we provide and will replace it with either your settings or centos defaults.

Offline k_graham

• +0/-0
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2021, 12:33:06 AM »
your system is expected to be slow on first hours as it is generating a dh parameter for dovecot.  could take more than one day on really slow system.

also please not that bu choosing to format with ext4 you deviated from standard install which will use xfs, and had to choose (wisely, we all hope) your partitionning, as even entering in the disk interface will result is overriding the kickstart default we provide and will replace it with either your settings or centos defaults.

I deleted the previous install to the disks by overwriting with ext4. From what you say perhaps I could have left the old one in place to be overwritten or simply deleted to start with a blank non formatted disk?

I did not change the Custom setting of the screen during install or enter it , I just checked the completed copy using Gparted and it does say XFS for file format.

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2021, 12:39:27 AM »
I deleted the previous install to the disks by overwriting with ext4. From what you say perhaps I could have left the old one in place to be overwritten or simply deleted to start with a blank non formatted disk?

Usually this is enough, although it is better to simpley wipe the  drive using dd

I did not change the Custom setting of the screen during install or enter it , I just checked the completed copy using Gparted and it does say XFS for file format.

Looking good then.
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline k_graham

• +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2021, 02:33:40 AM »
Usually this is enough, although it is better to simpley wipe the  drive using dd

Looking good then.

Except after the install of data I again am again unable to access the server from local computers.

However I can ping the computers from the server.

With the 2nd network port enabled and 1st disabled     ifconfig    shows
enp2s0     

ll /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts  does show  these 2 files  ifcfg-eno1  and route-eno1

It occurs to me I had the SME server enabled as a domain controller , I am wondering if that could be preventing the computers from seeing the server?

Offline k_graham

• +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2021, 02:52:21 AM »
And the output of

ifcfg-eno1
and
route-eno1

Yes those 2 files are showing

Offline k_graham

• +0/-0
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2021, 03:00:00 AM »

# ll /sbin

also
cat /etc/e-smith-release
This is with the install done Rememberance day

1 root root 8Nov10 19 20 /sbin usr/sbin

and

cat /etc/e-smith-release
SME Server Release 10

I am wondering if it could be as I had set it up as a Domain controller enabled ?

Also I let the router provide the DHCP rather than SME server so in cases like now where the server iis down things can still be done.

I can save the output of the files to text files such as ifconfig >/ifconfig.txt
However I have not figured out how to save those to a USB so I could then forward them to the list.

Thanks,
Kn

« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 03:02:29 AM by k_graham »

Offline sages

• +0/-0
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2021, 03:41:26 AM »
I'm getting confused as to what the actual issue is.
Is it a basic network issue? Seems to have been tested with outgoing ping from server to gateway but incoming from another machine. And network bonding was enabled/disabled at some stage.
Now you are talking about domain controllers.

What exactly is the problem?
How about starting with the basics and working up from there.

Imagine that we don't know what you have or haven't done, don't know what was or wasn't configured on your previous sme 9 server, have no idea if your problem is basic network connectivity or a samba/cifs issue. You are the only eyes on your system, the people trying to help can only go by what you write on here. At the end of the day you are the one asking for help, other's are offering to help. We don't know what you know about your system nor what you have configured.

• +11/-0
  • aka Unnilennium
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2021, 03:46:14 AM »
something in the config restored or something in the custom templates. 

again try

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2021, 05:10:14 AM »
Except after the install of data I again am again unable to access the server from local computers.

So did you do a reconfigure, reboot from the console, menu item 2, Choosing the correct eth card and server mode

With the 2nd network port enabled and 1st disabled     ifconfig    shows
enp2s0     
ll /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts  does show  these 2 files  ifcfg-eno1  and route-eno1

How are you disableing port/eth card?

I would have thought there should be a  ifcfg-enp2s0 that is the eth adapter ifconfig is  showing

example, I have two eth cards, have used server-gateway in past now only server moide, so I have in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts   ifcfg-enp2s0 and ifcfg-enp3s0, I select enp3s0 when doing the reconfigure from the console
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 05:18:58 AM by TerryF »
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline k_graham

• +0/-0
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2021, 05:44:01 AM »
I'm getting confused as to what the actual issue is.
Is it a basic network issue? Seems to have been tested with outgoing ping from server to gateway but incoming from another machine. And network bonding was enabled/disabled at some stage.
Now you are talking about domain controllers.

What exactly is the problem?
How about starting with the basics and working up from there.

Imagine that we don't know what you have or haven't done, don't know what was or wasn't configured on your previous sme 9 server, have no idea if your problem is basic network connectivity or a samba/cifs issue. You are the only eyes on your system, the people trying to help can only go by what you write on here. At the end of the day you are the one asking for help, other's are offering to help. We don't know what you know about your system nor what you have configured.
in this last setup I had a working sme 10, and network worked, after a console restore I could ping a workstation 10.0.0.10 and gateway from the server 10.0.0.1. However when trying to ping the server from 10.0.0.1 and another computer it does not.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 05:46:37 AM by k_graham »

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2021, 05:48:21 AM »
Your restore has effed up the newtwork setup that was done during the initial sme10 install..

See what I posted above..

You have network cfg files trying to use an adapter called   ifcfg-eno1  yet ifcfg shows its enp2s0

Did you do the reconfigure from the cosole menu item2, and reboot?
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2021, 05:49:38 AM »
should also add, makeing sure to select the correct eth adapter when doing the reconfig
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2021, 05:59:21 AM »
for example this is the select local network device window when I do a reconfigure from the console on my sme10 home server, as you can see there are two adapters, its a matter of schoosing the one you have connected to your router/switch

see image
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline k_graham

• +0/-0
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2021, 06:17:41 PM »
for example this is the select local network device window when I do a reconfigure from the console on my sme10 home server, as you can see there are two adapters, its a matter of schoosing the one you have connected to your router/switch

see image

Yes and it works as noted that I can ping other computers from the server. But other computers are unable to ping the server. Also note both directions work before the restore of 9.2 data. After the restore it is 1 way only, even after a reconfigure. i will try to troubleshoot again this evening, suggestions welcome.

I can save command output to text file but have not figured how to save ro a USB. Perhaps to another computer so I can easily share the output.
Ifconfig.  > 10.0.0.10/???/ifconfig.txt       

Thanks Ken

Thanks
Ken

Offline k_graham

• +0/-0
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2021, 05:06:53 AM »
something in the config restored or something in the custom templates. 

again try

typing that at a root prompt with a return  provided 2 lines of output ending with

99SMEsite_Maker_cpwiki : Manually_Added Addition
99SMEsite_Maker_mediawiki : Manually_Added Addition

Which means ?

Thanks,
Ken Graham

Offline ReetP

• +5/-0
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2021, 03:23:36 PM »
You need to go back to the very start here.

You are confusing the hell out of people with half answer and precious little data. That is just wasting your time, and ours, and leading to lots of frustration and no solutions.

You have GOT to be methodical and precise.

You need to prepare yourself with some tools. Notepad and pen will help. Learning what some basic commands do will help as well - if you see something you don't understand, try looking it up using the wiki here or the global interwebs. We are here to try and fix your problem, but it is isn't Kindergarten for basic Linux knowledge. You need to help yourself a bit.

So this is frustrating to see.

but have not figured how to save ro a USB

Really? You haven't tried a general web lookup or searched here? And you have bonding enabled?

tail -f /var/log/messages
Plugin USB stick

Find the device name eg
/dev/sdx
mkdir -p /media/usb
mount /dev/sdx /media/usb

Look in /media/usb

Write down steps and commands you have used as you go so we can try and repeat them. If we can't do that we can't help you. Did I mention "be precise"? Don't guess. Just do exactly we ask.

You are probably going to have to undo/remove your network bond on v9 as we suspect that may be part of your issue. Focus on just ONE card/port - if you can, remove any others. You can add other stuff back later.

Somehow/somewhere you are not reconfiguring your network correctly after the restore. Until you have got that fixed forget domain logins or anything else. Just focus on the ONE thing which is getting one network adaptor running correctly.

One way ping that you saw means that your routing/networking is probably broken. Forget dig or anthing else. Concentrate on the basic card settings. They are determined from your configurations and the network-scripts.

You need to run these on your v9 server so we can see the damage there. Make sure they are labelled as v9 data.

/sbin/e-smith/audittools/newrpms
ifconfig

config show

and remove any passwords and post it somewhere like pastebin or a gist

Or run the debug report from your server-manager from the link bottom left.

On your restored v10 do the same. Label it correctly.

/sbin/e-smith/audittools/newrpms

config show

and remove any passwords and post it somewhere like pastebin or a gist

1. Read the Manual
2. Read the Wiki