Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

SME Server 10 with SSD main drive and Raid 1 that host /home/e-smith/files/

Offline jatan

• +0/-0
Good day.

I have been running a "private" SME Server for many years.
For easier future upgrades I would like to do the following:

I am trying to setup the new SME 10 using a 120Gb SSD and then using a 2 x 4Tb sata hdd's in RAID1 to host all the "data" files  /home/e-smith/files/*.*

I have been trying to use the page "https://wiki.koozali.org/AddExtraHardDisk" but I am getting stuck...

I have managed to setup the Raid1 as /dev/md11   /mtn/newdisk   (this works fine and retains after a reboot)
I would like to keep it simple and use "Alternative 1: Use /home/e-smith/files to mount the new disk"

I am getting stuck here unfortunately.

Any straight forward help would be appreciated.

PS:   My knowledge is clearly very limited, this is stuff I should likely know, but after scouring the forum and docs I am none the wiser.

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
Your there..

Just remount the raid to  /home/e-smith/files using fstab, its how I do it

In that wiki page - https://wiki.koozali.org/AddExtraHardDisk#Mount  Automount at boot time

Added: I use the shared folders contrib and mount to that dir  /home/e-smith/files/shares

here is my fstab entry
UUID=566cf197-313c-4109-95f7-155d4913a747 /home/e-smith/files/shares  ext3    usrquota,grpquota,,noatime,acl        0 0

I use the UUID identifier rather than names...you will need to some further research, Mr Google to read up on that, but, to all intents and is the same

« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 09:29:25 PM by TerryF »
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
I have a test VM setup with a Raid5/6 as data monted by fstab, here is its fstab details, hard part is creating the Raid, again shared folder contrib is installed

#
/dev/mapper/main-root   /                       xfs     uquota,gquota        0 0
UUID=35b757aa-2d73-4ff5-beaf-679e7facefc1 /boot                   xfs     defaults        0 0
/dev/mapper/main-swap   swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
# /dev/md11 /home/e-smith/files/shares  ext4  _netdev  0 0
UUID=29dbfbc8-5562-4800-9c35-2733af1c74d2 /home/e-smith/files/shares  ext4  noauto,x-systemd.automount  0 0
#/dev/md11 /home/e-smith/files/shares  ext4  noauto,x-systemd.automount  0 0

as you can see how I have done it, it also has the original md11 identifier and the switches at the end which help get around an issue I am sure you can google and read about
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline jatan

• +0/-0
Thanks for the replies and information.

This got me a step closer to better understanding.

Much appreciated!