Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

rude moderators

Offline Mjohnson

• +0/-0
Re: rude moderators
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2010, 05:05:15 PM »
I find myself in agreement with Phredd. 

I have stopped recommending SME as a solution to associates.  I have now denigrated my SME Server to the role of files server only.  I can get a $200 NAS solution to fulfill that role without ever being told to check the bug tracker.  I will forgo the use SME in a month or so.  Been a nice ride, but certainly it is over.

To be honest, the harsh snippy attitude of the forums has been the tipping point for me. 

Good luck with your product.  For me the future of packaged servers is "Clear"....

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Edit<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
To clarify my point, the denigration of my SME Server to file server only is not due to anything in the forums or some whimsy of emotions, it is just a reality of how my company is growing.  I meant to say that since my SME Server is now only acting in the role of file server, I could replace it with just about anything.  The previous roles of mail server, FTP Server, Web Server and Backup are now being hosted off-site primarily for cost, continuity and security reasons. 
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 05:59:57 PM by Mjohnson »

Offline phredd

• +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2010, 05:07:57 PM »
...Written text with or without emoticons cannot possibly convey emotion, so therefore when recipients apply a negative connotation, it seems to me to be based on their own emotional persona or attitudinal perspective, rather than that of the poster (who gave an answer).

Ok - before we forget, here's the comment that set me off:

"Please try and investigate some more yourself instead of raising every question you have here. How hard would it have been to just type nano and hit enter and then see for yourself?"

How can this be misconstrued?

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2010, 05:17:33 PM »
phredd, I ask you again: in the real life, you keep asking and asking and asking for help? are you able to walk on your own or do you ask someone to carry you on his shoulders?

I think that the sentence you've quoted is not offensive, it's not rude.. it's only a way to stimulate the lazy noob.. about that noob, I remember he came here saying "I want to collaborate".. asking here everything passes in your (generally speaking) mind is a good way to approach this community?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 05:20:48 PM by Stefano »

Offline johnp

• +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2010, 05:18:28 PM »
Must be a full moon  :)

I personally didn't see the replies to be meant as a slam. From reading newburns posts, he seems to be a fairly resourceful guy. The one word answer should have been sufficient.

I don't think spoon feeding answers is beneficial to the user in the long run.

I know it wouldn't be for me.

Offline phredd

• +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2010, 05:26:38 PM »
phredd, I ask you again: in the real life, you keep asking and asking and asking for help? are you able to walk on your own or do you ask someone to carry you on his shoulders?

I am an educator in real life, and have spend many years learning how to inform people while not belittling them. I ask for help when I need to, and try to help where I can. I am trying to help contribs.org realize that they are turning people away.

I think that the sentence you've quoted is not offensive, it's not rude.. it's only a way to stimulate the lazy noob.. about that noob, I remember he came here saying "I want to collaborate".. asking here everything passes in your (generally speaking) is a good way to approach this community?

You and I have a fundamental difference of opinion about what "stimulation" is. To stimulate Newburn, I would have said, "nano is a stand-alone version of pico (pico being part of the Pine email client). Try typing 'nano' on the command line." It was a more work on your part, but now, the next noob who searches pico will have a complete answer, minus the angst. 

Offline phredd

• +0/-0
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2010, 05:31:19 PM »
I don't think spoon feeding answers is beneficial to the user in the long run.
If you know the answer, making them hunt for it wastes their time. Some of us need answers and are also willing to give them. Some of us just ask. In any event, the search function only works when questions have been answered.

Making a game out of it ("I know the answer, but since you didn't search, I am not only not going to tell you the answer, I am going going to remind you that you did it wrong, you lazy noob") helps no one.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 05:34:52 PM by phredd »

Offline phredd

• +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2010, 05:33:17 PM »
...it's only a way to stimulate the lazy noob.. ...

Wow.That speaks volumes.

Offline johnp

• +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2010, 05:39:31 PM »
If you know the answer, making them hunt for it wastes their time. Some of us need answers and are also willing to give them. Some of us just ask. In any event, the search function only works when questions have been answered.

Making a game out of it ("I know the answer, but since you didn't search, I am not only not going to tell you the answer, I am going going to remind you that you did it wrong, you lazy noob") helps no one.

I believe the question was answered by the first response. What he chooses to do with it, I can't say.

Offline phredd

• +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2010, 05:42:29 PM »
I believe the question was answered by the first response. What he chooses to do with it, I can't say.

To someone who already knows what nano is, the answer was given. To someone who has no clue what nano is, the one-word answer was cryptic. He asked for clarification. He got slammed for it.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 05:44:13 PM by phredd »

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2010, 05:45:54 PM »
If you know the answer, making them hunt for it wastes their time. Some of us need answers and are also willing to give them.

if I answer to a question and add to the post "please search next time, please", I expect that the same user will search the next time before posting.. with some users it works, with other no.. in this case I don't think they need help, they need to understant that I will not waste my time for them.. and, for sure, I will tell them it.

Some of us just ask. In any event, the search function only works when questions have been answered.

99.999% of  questions has alredy been answered or is in the FAQ.. 99.999% of question is not "rocket science"..

Making a game out of it ("I know the answer, but since you didn't search, I am not only not going to tell you the answer, I am going going to remind you that you did it wrong") helps no one.

I never seen this as a game.. and the game you are talking about is education.. I help you but my help is not only the answer but also the way you should act to find the answer next time..

I would never give you the fish, I will teach you how to catch the fish

Offline phredd

• +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2010, 05:49:49 PM »
I would never give you the fish, I will teach you how to catch the fish

I would put forth that what is being taught is not to ask questions.

Offline johnp

• +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2010, 05:50:38 PM »
To someone who already knows what nano is, the answer was given. To someone who has no clue what nano is, the one-word answer was cryptic. He asked for clarification. He got slammed for it.

You say he got slammed, I say he got the answer with some addition guidance i.e. try it yourself.

Offline phredd

• +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2010, 05:53:11 PM »

99.999% of  questions has alredy been answered or is in the FAQ.. 99.999% of question is not "rocket science"..

Says the rocket scientist.

Offline Mjohnson

• +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2010, 05:55:01 PM »
I know I should just ignore this, but I can't help but indulge my childish nature..........

It is always the same cast of characters that jumps to the defense:  Stefano, Cactus, Mary, Charlie.... Everytime.  I know because, as recommended, I did a search before I posted this reply!!

Guess what guys, we have heard your same tired defense time after time.  Do you not have room in your response program to listen to what Phredd is saying?  How can you possibly argue against "Don't be Rude"? 

« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 05:57:15 PM by Mjohnson »

Offline phredd

• +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2010, 05:57:53 PM »
You say he got slammed, I say he got the answer with some addition guidance i.e. try it yourself.

The 'guidance' was clearly a chiding for not looking up pico. I tried to find an explanation of both pico and nano on this sight. Guess what? Nothing clear comes up. References to using both exist, but not what the programs are. Maybe in helping a person, some searching on the part of the helper is in order before firing off the works, "did you search for it?" Then - you could give the lazy noob not only the info, but how you found it. Or - you might realize that the info in fact does not exist, and by answering the question (in one or more complete sentences) the info now DOES exist for the next noob.

That's education. Being a teacher is work, too.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 06:02:41 PM by phredd »